Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing Basement - Expanding PEX?

Hello. This is my first post around here...kind of excited I found some like-minded people!

Our home is 2 years old and we're considering finishing our basement. The home was built using PEX. The basement has a bathroom rough plumbed - just drains, vent stack, etc. For the basement, we will have the following fixtures:

Bathroom sink
Toilet
Shower
Wet sink

The wetbar is going to be a pain - nothing plumbed for it, but I think I can run a drain pipe across the wall and into a drain pipe. This will be hooked to the sanitary sump down there.

The question is the PEX and if I can get away with not expanding the existing manifold, which appears to be all "full." Maybe I'll need to tap into the hot/cold lines before the existing manifold, then run new PEX in the basement from that.

Here are some photos of what we have....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpfeif/...7622171012731/

Will I want to run two new 3/4" PEX to that bathroom, then, when it gets there, 1/2" from that to each of fixtures?

Help!

kpfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

Welcome! Not sure why there were no responses for a week, maybe I'll start a trend.

While the manifold makes for a very neat install, I'm not aware of any code that says each pex run must be a home run. Sure hope there isn't one!
I see no reason you couldn't just put a tee in one one of the pex runs. Pick the most convenient one. Or it looks like there's a copper cap on the end of the manifold, could always expand it.

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

yes as stated just run a tee of the best lines to the area and go from their.I would check where they run first though and try to pick a line that is not supplying to many other things that way your not diveting flow from an important area.Oh and dont forget a shut off so if you have problems you can fix it without shuting down other areas

Last edited by clasact; 09-17-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote