Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


I am getting ready to finish my basement bath - have questions about venting. The house is less than a year old. The plumbing is roughed in for a full bath but I am only going to do a half bath. There is a 3" pipe out of the floor for a toilet, and another 2" pipe coming up for the sink drain. There there is gravel filled box - I haven't dug in but there has to be a line for the shower drain. There is also an ejector pump - one line coming out with a check valve connecting to the main drain, and another line coming out (vent).

The ejector pump vent goes up through the floor, but the vent is teed off and goes back into the basement floor near the floor drain by the furnace. I have to assume that this is the vent for the floor drain? I thought it was a no-no to tie into the ejector pump vent though?!?!?

My plan is this:

- dig down and make sure the shower drain is capped off well
- tie sink into existing drain / "wet vent" for toilet
- tie vent into existing vent for ejector pump (assuming it's ok to tie in)

Does this sound OK??? I am Peoria, IL so as far as I know we don't have any weird code requirements.
ajbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Plumbing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 60
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Hi AJ:

You were correct first time. Connecting into the ejector pump is a no-no!!

I would take that 2" pipe for sink, stub out 1.5" pipe for lavatory sink and then continue on full size 2" vent to nearest 2" vent or larger upstairs or in attic (acts as vent for sink and WET vent for toilet)....and while running that 2" vent for 1/2 bath, pick up the vent that SHOULD NOT BE connected to ejector vent and know job has been done correctly!!

And since house is only about a year old, be sure to check around entire basement..there should be a 2" FUTURE vent stubbed/capped for you to connect on too!! That capped future vent is a code requirement in my area...*cross fingers* it is in your area, too...and that you can find it!!

If future vent not found, then need to run the 2" vent like I suggested and cap the ejector vent where you cut out illegal connection.

Good luck with it all!! Post back if any other questions.
Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,683
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Plumber View Post
And since house is only about a year old, be sure to check around entire basement..there should be a 2" FUTURE vent stubbed/capped for you to connect on too!! That capped future vent is a code requirement in my area...*cross fingers* it is in your area, too...and that you can find it!!

If future vent not found, then need to run the 2" vent like I suggested and cap the ejector vent where you cut out illegal connection.

Good luck with it all!! Post back if any other questions.
Interesting. Does your code also require that toilet vents terminate separately?
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Plumbing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 60
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


NOPE...all vents connect as normal and then penetrate the roof with one 3" vent as any state I have plumbed in...??

Why...does your state code allow someone to connect into the ejector vent..? All codes are different, for sure.....so is this the case..??
Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,683
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Plumber View Post
NOPE...all vents connect as normal and then penetrate the roof with one 3" vent as any state I have plumbed in...??

Why...does your state code allow someone to connect into the ejector vent..? All codes are different, for sure.....so is this the case..??
No, I was simply intrigued by the 2" future vent....


How do you decide where to put it? You do have maximum horizontal lengths for vents, right?
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Plumbing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 60
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Hi Alan:

The 2" future vent is required in all new homes. Code (in my area) only requires that I leave a 2" future vent with drip leg on it and that I mark it as a FUTURE VENT somehow (I use permanant marker and just write FV on it)....does not matter where we leave it as long as it is 2".

In my area, I can run a 2" vent with a full bathroom on it up to 150 linear feet...so pretty much anywhere future vent is accessible works for most homes.

Hey, just wanted to answer your question...been having fun with some of the questions is all.

I can see you are a pretty sharp bunch over here at DIY chatroom...looking forward to working with you guys on occassion...

I am not sure of all the proper etiquette for these kind of chatrooms...so bear with me if I do something stupid. I am new to this.

Take care
Boston Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 350
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Here In colorado now that we switched to the IPC they let you tie into the 2" ejector pump vent, It just has to be 6 inches above the flood rim.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #8
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,683
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Plumber View Post
Hi Alan:

The 2" future vent is required in all new homes. Code (in my area) only requires that I leave a 2" future vent with drip leg on it and that I mark it as a FUTURE VENT somehow (I use permanant marker and just write FV on it)....does not matter where we leave it as long as it is 2".

In my area, I can run a 2" vent with a full bathroom on it up to 150 linear feet...so pretty much anywhere future vent is accessible works for most homes.

Hey, just wanted to answer your question...been having fun with some of the questions is all.

I can see you are a pretty sharp bunch over here at DIY chatroom...looking forward to working with you guys on occassion...

I am not sure of all the proper etiquette for these kind of chatrooms...so bear with me if I do something stupid. I am new to this.

Take care
Interesting comparing code requirements. I think our TDL for 2" is similar, but our code only allows 1/3 of that TDL to be installed in a horizontal position, unless we upsize the entire length of vent by one pipe size for the fixture served. So, if this were future for a toilet..... you could see where this could get very confusing in our area.... lol.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need a HVAC return vent in basement? westing HVAC 13 04-03-2014 01:43 AM
Basement finishing smallcrpt Remodeling 18 11-12-2007 05:27 AM
How to 'start' finishing the basement... mcvane Building & Construction 18 06-04-2007 08:28 AM
Finishing Basement, How to run a heat duct? hyper Remodeling 6 02-23-2007 03:46 PM
Roughed in basement vent question jeffgator Plumbing 5 01-27-2007 11:48 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.