Fine Sand In Cold Water Line, Cold Water Stopping Then Turning Hot And Blasting Sand - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fine sand in cold water line, cold water stopping then turning hot and blasting sand

I've been having weird water issues for 5 months now. my cold water lines plug up with fine sand, a loud thud in the lines signals low water pressure to none, then hot water comes out with a blast of sand and returns to cold water. This leaves every catch in the house plugged up with sand. we've installed a filter on the incoming water from the city and the same fine sand is in the bottom of the filter but its not alot, maybe a tablespoon full. in over a month. What can we do?

Advertisement

cstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

fine sand in cold water line, cold water stopping then turning hot and blasting sand

If the sand is comming from your water supplier as suggested by it showing up in the filter on the incoming line then you need to retain the filter on the incoming line and check/clean/replace it regularly to prevent any more getting into your plumbing lines. Because the sand has built up in the plumbing inside your house you will have to flush the lines one at a time to try to remove the sand. It has probably also built up in the bottom of the water heater and it may take several cycles to drain and flush the water heater.

I suggest you contact your water supplier and discuss the problem with them--it may suggest a problem in their system.

Do you have a water softener or other filter in your house? I ask because an incorrectly installed filter or one that has failed in some way can discharge filter media into the plumbing lines and cause the symptoms you report.

Advertisement

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,186

Have you asked any of your neighbors if they are experiencing anything similar? How old is your home? What kind of plumbing do you have, i.e. copper, galvanized, etc?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote