Finding Radiant Floor Tubes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Finding radiant floor tubes

I hope this is the right section. My daughter recently purchased a home that uses a boiler/baseboard heating and has radiant floor heating in the garage. My grandson wants to install some snow machine (snow mobiles, I call them) racks in the garage which will require some anchors drilled into the floor. I got him stopped in time before he drilled. Is there a way to locate the radiant floor tubes within the concrete floor? Thanks, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
ICF built home

Rewards Points: 75

Finding radiant floor tubes

The low tech method would be to Turn down the heat to let the slab cool. Then crank up the heat back up and begin feeling the floor with your hands. As the loops warm up you will be able to feel the difference between the recently heated area and the areas where the heat has not yet spread. (using your bare feet instead of your hands is surprisingly effective too)

The better high tech method would be to get a infrared thermometer with a laser pointer sight. Pointing this at the floor would allow you to quickly mark out the tubes instead of using your hand to determine the hot vs cold areas of the floor.

Use chalk or pencil to mark the loops out as you find them.

Then you can drill in areas between the loops with much more confidence that you are not going to puncture your system.

Here is a link to an example infrared thermometer:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017L9Q9C/...SIN=B0017L9Q9C

Yes, $40-50 is not cheap but it is a rather bargain insurance policy as fixing a punctured radiant loop embedded in concrete would cost quite a bit more.

Let us know how it goes

Advertisement

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote