DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Finally finished my heating system (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/finally-finished-my-heating-system-91946/)

Gnfanatic 01-10-2011 09:22 PM

Finally finished my heating system
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, first time building a heating system (took me about 80 hours total). Need to run some pex and get the plumber over to install the gas line. Cant wait to finally have heat in my house :) What ya guys think? Be easy on me :)

Jackofall1 01-10-2011 09:44 PM

Very nice lookin job, your hired!

Jim F 01-10-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic (Post 567422)
Hey guys, first time building a heating system (took me about 80 hours total). Need to run some pex and get the plumber over to install the gas line. Cant wait to finally have heat in my house :) What ya guys think? Be easy on me :)

It certainly looks neat and orderly. What kind of a boilder is that? It must be much lighter that my Weil-McLean oil fired boiler if it can mount on the wall like that. I don't know how those poor guys got it down the basement steps and in place without hurting their backs.

Gnfanatic 01-10-2011 09:47 PM

thanks guys. its a Triangle Tube boiler, made in Belgium. I mounted it myself, I believe it weighs roughly 100 lbs give or take. Its 96% efficient.

the_man 01-10-2011 10:31 PM

looks pretty damn good, a lot better than most of em i see. the only things i don't like about it is the t&p drain is awfully high and the expansion tanks could use some strapping to secure them on the wall. i'm not a fan of them being supported by the piping. other than that (little stuff :laughing:) it looks nice enough to take home to mom :thumbup:

TheEplumber 01-10-2011 10:43 PM

Looks good! Whats the blue and white box on the shelf?

Gnfanatic 01-10-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_man (Post 567454)
looks pretty damn good, a lot better than most of em i see. the only things i don't like about it is the t&p drain is awfully high and the expansion tanks could use some strapping to secure them on the wall. i'm not a fan of them being supported by the piping. other than that (little stuff :laughing:) it looks nice enough to take home to mom :thumbup:

The potable tank is strapped from the floor joist above . I need to figure out how to secure the system tank better. I mounted the T&P exactly the way the manufacturer stated and showed in the diagram. I suppose you are talking about the one on the boiler???

Gnfanatic 01-10-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 567462)
Looks good! Whats the blue and white box on the shelf?

That little guy will call 3 telephone numbers if it senses a pressure drop or temp drop. I can also call the box to get info from it. Going to install a battery backup to it as well.

TheEplumber 01-11-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic (Post 567474)
That little guy will call 3 telephone numbers if it senses a pressure drop or temp drop. I can also call the box to get info from it. Going to install a battery backup to it as well.

Sweet ,My guess was some sort of router. I was close

COLDIRON 01-11-2011 06:38 AM

Man, that is one pretty system, I hope it works as good as it looks. You do outstanding work, I am curious what do you do for a living ? No need to answer if you don't feel comfortable.

Gnfanatic 01-11-2011 08:21 AM

I was in the IT field for 10 years now I work full time at my families pizzeria. I am a pizza maker now, haha :)

Plumber26 01-11-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnfanatic (Post 567472)
The potable tank is strapped from the floor joist above . I need to figure out how to secure the system tank better. I mounted the T&P exactly the way the manufacturer stated and showed in the diagram. I suppose you are talking about the one on the boiler???


The T&P needs to terminate at within 6'' of the floor. Picture it blowing off w/ 180 degree water coming out of it and someone happens to be in that area admiring the beautiful work you did. Instant skin graft! Really would suggest it be done. It's code.

Clutchcargo 01-11-2011 10:04 AM

63 Attachment(s)
Nice job, it looks better than pro.
One thing though, are those outlets sharing the circuit with the heating system?

Gnfanatic 01-11-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumber26 (Post 567659)
The T&P needs to terminate at within 6'' of the floor. Picture it blowing off w/ 180 degree water coming out of it and someone happens to be in that area admiring the beautiful work you did. Instant skin graft! Really would suggest it be done. It's code.


Thank you sir, I did not know that!! I will fix it this week. See anything else?? I did check the pressure of the tanks as well, I pressure tested the system to 40 psi., out of the 148 joints I soldered, 4 leaked. I took the 4 apart, cleaned and resoldered. no more leaks. I also flushed the system.

Gnfanatic 01-11-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutchcargo (Post 567667)
Nice job, it looks better than pro.
One thing though, are those outlets sharing the circuit with the heating system?


hey, yes they are. BUT they are only there for emergency purposes. They will probably never be used. No one will be connecting a saw to it :) I ran 12-3 MC BX to the unit with a 20 amp breaker. I know its overkill but I feel better doing it. thanks for the compliment :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.