Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

filter canister parts

Here' something that you may or may not be able to help me with, but I thought I'd give it a try. I have a standard 20" cartridge filter canister just upstream of the softener that was installed by Kinetico when they put the softener in back in '94. The head of the canister has an 'on/off' handle on the top if it that you turn 180 degrees when changing out the filter. Water weeps out from around the red button underneath the handle, and also (I think) from around the valve stem. Not a major problem, as the leak eventually (after a day or so) heals itself, but I would like to address it. I contacted Kinetico and they told me that the canister is not their brand, and that they don't install that type any more. The Kinetico service guy told me that I could have them come and install another 'new and improved' filter housing for only $279. What a deal! They wouldn't even sell me one so I could install it myself. So, I called another more helpful Kinetico dealer. They used to sell a rebuild kit for it which consisted mainly of some O-rings, a small metal plate, and some screws, for $7.95, but they were out of stock. The gal I spoke with made a call to their supplier and found out that they no longer carry it. Unfortunately, I did not get a part number. The only markings on the entire canister are 'Made in USA' (on the head), IN and OUT (at the inlet/outlet connections), and ON/OFF (on the top ends of the valve handle) . There is a paper label over the screw that attaches the handle to the valve stem. That label says PATENT #4731____. There are 3 or 4 numbers missing that have been worn off over time. The canister and head are black. Can you direct me to where I might find the rebuild kit for this head? Thank you for your time and consideration.. Rob

killermrob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Master Plumber

filter canister parts

I usually discourage folks from using those things , they tend to be breeding ground for bacteria. city or well water?

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Roofmaster

filter canister parts

Cant you just fab the new parts? Sounds pretty simple. O ring kits are not very expensive. All that red button is is a flat washer, a rubber washer and a spring, no?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Water Treatment

filter canister parts

You are going to need to change it out with a filter housing and head that does NOT have the handle in the head.. as you have found the weak point in them.
I never use them because of what has happened to yours.
A ball valve before and after the filter housing with a pressure release button is the best way if you are going to use one, and with a Kinetico it is Best to use a pre filter because of the valve design.

A photo if possible of the housing in question.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote