Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

Fibreglass Bathtub Leaks Need Help

Hey Guys,
I'm having an some trouble with a fibreglass bathtub,
it has been corked [mastic] many times, but after a few weeks the water starts coming through where the mastic joins the bathtub and wall and leaking downstairs.
The leak mainly starts from where the two walls meet [but around the frame of the bathtub]
I have also put up some images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47147186@N03/
I think it might be cause the bathtub moves [the fibreglass bathtub is quite thin]
Does anyone know of some way of creatively / cost effectively fix the problem?
Any advice would be appreciated.
C

cookerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

remove all the old caulking. clean well with denatured alcohol and then apply a bead of silicone caulking.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #3

It has been sealed many times, and each time the water eventually starts leaking again.
The most recent one that was used was "Durabond Lexel Super Elastic Sealant" but after a few days that started leaking too !
cookerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

are you sure that is where the leak is coming from. You should be able to seal it fine if the material is first cleaned and the caulking is applied and tooled.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

going to be hard to seal until wall behind panels are dry. does tub flex/move when you step into it?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Household Handyman

From experience: Let's say the leak(s) are at the point where the walls meet (corners), and where the panels meet the tub. First we must remove all old caulking/sealants. These areas need to be cleaned with isopropol alcohol. Then these areas need to be allowed to dry for a minimum of 24 hours in a well ventilated bath area. The use of a small fan and a space heater for warm air helps here. Be careful with the heater in a bath area. This is a debatable issue, but I use it: Place water in the tub approximately one-half full. This may slightly open the cracks between the tub ledge and lower panel edges. Use a good "Tub and Shower Surround" type caulking. I like to use a small bead first and "strike it" (push it into the seams) with a damp finger. After the first layer of sealant has been applied, and allowed to dry for maybe 1/2 hour, I run a little wider bead-again striking it for a smooth finish. Allow the sealant to cure a couple of hours before emptying the tub and using the shower, the longer the better on the shower part. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote