DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fiberglass creaking sound

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  plumguy 
#1 ·
I just installed a Sterling fiberglass 3 piece tub/ tub walls….as I was doing the finishing I noticed a cracking sound as I stood in the tub…is this normal settling of the new fiberglass tub? My worst fear is a cracked tub!!!

The floor that the tub is on wasn’t quite level so I had to shim it a little with some ½ plywood strips that I wedged under the tub before I closed the wall. I did this just so it had some extra support…then again this tub had little plastic feet on the bottom with space in between ..

Any comments would be helpful

Thank you

#2 ·
fburke said:
I just installed a Sterling fiberglass 3 piece tub/ tub walls….as I was doing the finishing I noticed a cracking sound as I stood in the tub…is this normal settling of the new fiberglass tub? My worst fear is a cracked tub!!!

The floor that the tub is on wasn’t quite level so I had to shim it a little with some ½ plywood strips that I wedged under the tub before I closed the wall. I did this just so it had some extra support…then again this tub had little plastic feet on the bottom with space in between ..

Any comments would be helpful

Thank you

That is a scary sound! But, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I hear that sound all the time and with many hundreds of installations,I've never had a cracked bottom.

You did the right thing, as long as you support the feet of the tub the design and structure is for it to be flexible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.