Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

fiberglass bathtub - remove integral foam leveling feet

I am installing a Eljer fiberglass jet bathtub. Enclosure is built, floor is rock solid and level, support stringers for the entire rim are at the right height and level. everything is ready to set the tub into mortar. The installation instructions state that the entire bottom of the tub needs to be supported by mortar. It seems to me that leaving the foam leveling feet would create four individual weak spots, because, the foam will be surrounded by cement mortar.

My thinking is remove the foam leveling feet, set the tub into the mortar and push it down to the stringers around the rim without pushing to the point that the rim would support any weight. I know it is not suppose to support weight.

Also, I have seen it suggested a couple of times on the internet to place plastic on the floor prior to the mortar and on top of the mortar and between the tub to make it easier if removal is needed later.

Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!!

worthspending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #2

No problum with the plastic but cut off the feet and void any warrenty.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

Look up Eljer on line , call their tech support service , give them the model number of the tub and ask the engineers advice.

You'll probably have an answer in 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Unless a vendor specifically indicates removal, you should leave the feet in place. Their density is not going to be different enough from the mortar to make any difference, weakness-wise. But if they're not there to help level the tub there's a good chance of it sinking into the mortar unevenly.

Given how much else you need to remove to get to a tub I wouldn't call having plastic under there 'making it any easier'. That and you'd lose whatever lateral bond the mortar might make with the material under it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote