Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

Fernco waxless toilet seals

Anyone use or have experience with the Fernco waxless toilet seals? Do they work as advertised? 2nd question - how level does the toilet flange have to be to make a seal and work properly? I'm talking about level with the world, not height above or below the floor surface. I am completing a bath over the garage that was rough plumbed when the house was built. The toilet flange is about 1/4" or so out of level from one side to the other(PVC toilet elbow was not cemented on as vertically as should have been). Do I need to cut out the subflooring, cut off the pipe and redo or will one of the Fernco seals work OK as is? Thanks for any help or input.
Duane 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Home Remodeler

I used one in my main bathroom several years ago. The toilet always had the pee smell. Replaced it with a wax seal a month ago and the smell is gone. When I removed the toilet there was no damage or moisture on the floor but the toilet bottom was wet. I will always use the wax seal for now on.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM   #3

I've used the Fernco waxless toilet seal and it worked fine for me.

I'd suggest you stick with a wax seal on this one. The Fernco sticks to the bottom of the toilet with an adhesive, and I'd be concerned that it would come loose on one side in your case.

Wax seals are cheap, forgiving and reliable.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go with the wax w/horn for this one. Will the flange being tilted about 1/4" cause me any problems or will the wax ring make up the difference? I'm debating whether to cut out the subfloor and try to redo the pipe and flange before I tile the floor or just use it the way it is now. What do you think?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

you could use the jumbo wax seal, this will make up the difference of the flange being out of level.
I,m assuming the 1/4" is below the tile.
with the jumbo seal being thicker you will have more wax to fill the void, or you can double up on the seal, depending on how far below the finished floor the flange is. Good luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #6

Bob:
The floor hasn't been tiled yet. Just plywood subfloor down so far. The flange is above the plywood about 3/4" on one side and 3/8" on the other side. Since I just have plywood down right now, I thought maybe it would be better to just cut out a sectioin of the plywood, cut out the crooked flange and elbow and redo it right. I guess I just don't trust getting a good seal with that much of tilt to the flange.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #7

yes I would agree with you , I would not want to take a chance on a second floor toilet. I have always installed my closet flanges after the floor is installed over the mud base. this way the flange is secured to the floor tile and into the sub floor and is laying nice and flat. I like to use the closet PVC flange that you glue inside a 3" PVC pipe. it works best for me on this type of install.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #8

Yeah, I looked at the 3" closet flange and liked the idea of going inside the pipe. Guess I'll get out the sawsall and go work. Just didn't want to put down the tile and have to tear it up later when I could have/should have done it right to start with. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #9

good move ,Good Luck With the rest of your project. BOB