Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Faulty brass pex fittings

In an earlier posts it was brought up that there had been a lot of failures with
Brass pex fittings. I did some further checking on the web and found many articles about this issue. Apparently the bad fittings were sold by Zurn from
1996 to 2010 and the company has settled a class action lawsuit with affected
Homeowners. Does anyone have any further info on this and is it now OK to use
Brass fittings? Are their plastic fittings that can be a direct replacement and still use the brass or stainless crimp rings and crimping tool that was used with the brass fittings?

Thanks
JM

ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

The Zurn lawsuit was not the only instance of defective brass fittings. A quick Google search for defective brass fittings reveals at least three, possibly four other class action type lawsuits alleging defective brass fittings from other manufacturers. I personally installed a couple of Wirsbo (Uponor) brass fittings which subsequently failed. I now use polysulfone plastic fittings made by Wirsbo, they seem to work very well, and I have had no problems in four years of using them. I have not seen Wirsbo brass fittings recently, perhaps they got rid of them completely.

Wirsbo fittings are designed exclusively for the expansion tool system which is unique to Wirsbo, and so far as I understand Wirsbo fittings will not work with any crimp ring system. I do not know if crimp ring system manufacturers offer plastic fittings, perhaps one of the users of a crimp ring system can comment.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ddsrph (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

It's amazing to me that so many of these fittings have problems, especially when so many other components are brass, like cutoff valves, pressure regulators,
And those plated brass under sink cutoffs. I have used some brass compression fittings in other applications and have you heard of any problems with those that are used with PEX? No special tool required and my house will be so small and the plumbing in a very small area a very few would be required.

Thanks
JM
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

I don't know if there remains any issue with brass pex fittings. They seem to be all over the net. I will not use them though. A failed fitting causes a lot of grief.

I only use the plastic fittings now and have had no problems.
I have also plumbed with expansion, crimp and cinch(ssc) systems- plastic fittings every time.

Brass is used however for the valves and iron pipe or copper transitions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ddsrph (05-08-2014), SHR Plumber (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

E
Are their plastic fittings besides the wisbro type that require a expansion tool?
Are there some that directly replace the brass using the same copper ring or stainless cinch ring and the same tool as if you were using brass?

Thanks
JM
Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
E
Are their plastic fittings besides the wisbro type that require a expansion tool?
Are there some that directly replace the brass using the same copper ring or stainless cinch ring and the same tool as if you were using brass?
Yes. Many brands offer plastic as well as brass standard crimp/cinch ring fittings.
SHR Plumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
ddsrph (05-09-2014), TheEplumber (05-08-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
Yes. Many brands offer plastic as well as brass standard crimp/cinch ring fittings.
Thanks, that's good to know. With all the uncertainty with the brass , plastic is the way to go. I just didn't want to have to buy the more expensive expander tool for the small job ahead.

JM