Faucets At Home Depot And Lowes - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Faucets at Home Depot and Lowes

Are brand name faucets sold at Home Depot and Lowes equal in quality to the same brand sold at plumbing supply stores?

Advertisement

lebosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

If a fixture is the same brand/model, then it's exactly the same at any vendor. <-- EDIT: with exceptions, per faucetman below..

HD and Lowes do sell some quality stuff, but also a good amount of crap -- in the end you get what you pay for. A $50 Kholer faucet is not going to be as good as a $200 Kholer faucet. Within the brands there is a range of quality.

Plumbing supply houses might have a better selection of higher-end fixtures than the big boxes, though.

Advertisement

Last edited by ScottR; 06-19-2009 at 03:05 PM.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

They do make slightly different versions for the big box stores
I'm not sure of the exact differences, but either on this site or another they did point out significant differences
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

In general I agree with Scott but there are some exceptions to the rule and you really have to watch item numbers and descriptions to make sure you are getting the exact same item. I was recently cited Price Pfister item #T43-YP0Y (Ashfield Bathroom sink faucet) as a prime example. Same faucet same part number but in the description one says 100% metal the other 50/50 plastic metal. The manufacturers are making less expensive versions of some of their lines by making some of the fixtures and ancillary parts of plastic instead of all metal and sometimes you may also find that fixures in one store will contain all the parts you need as in a pop up drain, gaskets etc and another of the same part number will only contain the fixture and no other parts. Just be aware of what you are buying and compare items carefully from store to store.
faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by faucetman886 View Post
Same faucet same part number but in the description one says 100% metal the other 50/50 plastic metal.
Oh man, I knew they sometimes sell dumbed-down versions of fixtures for the big boxes, but I didn't know they'd use the same part #?!

Thanks for the heads-up though, now I'll be on the lookout for that sort of thing..
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote