Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

faucet water supply line nut?

I am installing a new bathroom faucet for someone and was going to use the steel braided flex lines but the shortest ones I can find (12") are a tad too long and end up putting a lot of bending pressure on the CPVC (I HATE that crap!) stub lines. If they were copper no problem but I worry about them breaking.

So I am thinking of using the old fashioned cut to fit metal lines but I haven't used those in a long time so I don't remember what kind of nut goes on the faucet end where the conical supply line end fits into the faucet. Is it just a 1/2" compession nut? Do you need pipe dope on the conical pipe end and/or the threads of the supply tailpiece?

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,252

Just use the faucet nuts that come with new faucet. They are made to receive the cone head on the rigid supply lines. A little dope on the threads won't hurt. Use the 3/8 nut and ferrule on the supply stop.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Tried that... no good. Faucet tailpieces are about 8-10 inches directly above water supply valves. The flex lines are really not all that flexible so longer ones just push in a slightly different direction. I even tried to loop a 20 incher but as I said, they just aren't flexible enough to do that and get back to the supply valve with a relativey neutral strain.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Faucet didn't come with nuts. It's a Moen Banbury. Yes, I remember how to do the supply valve end. I also remember those sometime being hard to get totally leak free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Just use the faucet nuts that come with new faucet. They are made to receive the cone head on the rigid supply lines. A little dope on the threads won't hurt. Use the 3/8 nut and ferrule on the supply stop.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Faucet didn't come with nuts. It's a Moen Banbury. Yes, I remember how to do the supply valve end. I also remember those sometime being hard to get totally leak free.
Don't recall a faucet not coming with nuts. You may need to get 30" flex lines to keep the stress to a minimum. Or some nuts
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

The Moen install instructions just say connect water supply lines (not included) and shows a water supply line with a nut already on it. I guess they assume most folks use the flex lines anymore or or reuse the existing lines so don't bother including nuts. I couldn't do that as the existing lines were part of the old faucet. See step 10 here: http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/inst...s/ins1929a.pdf

I just found some 9" Fluidmaster flex supply lines online. Those should do the trick. In the interim I have installed some large eye bolts up high in the cabinet frame and run cable ties around the valve bodies to keep the pipe in position when the supply line presses down. Seems to work OK.... and not having water for a few days in not an option. Damn CPVC....

Last edited by raylo32; 11-25-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

I use a lot of the gray plastic rigid lines---you will need to buy a pair of tail piece nuts---the lines come with nylon Ferrels--you will also need the 3/8" nuts for the shut off valves.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

The tailpiece nuts... that was my original question here. They are just 1/2" compression fitting nuts, right? That's what I need to know.

Also, if you use those grey plastic lines, do you need one of those compression fitting tube inserts in the line at the supply valve end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I use a lot of the gray plastic rigid lines---you will need to buy a pair of tail piece nuts---the lines come with nylon Ferrels--you will also need the 3/8" nutss for the shut off valves.

Last edited by raylo32; 11-25-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I call them faucet nuts, or tailpiece nuts, and they are not 1/2" compression nuts, they are actually threaded to 1/2" iron pipe threads.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

They are sold two to a package ---white with handy wings for tightening---faucet nuts

The gray lines don't need an insert---just the nylon farrel that comes with the lines.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 AM   #11

Well, this turned out to be much ado about nothing. I had installed the 12" flex lines and strain relieved the pipe stubs in a neutral position by supporting the shutoff valve bodies with cable ties. So the force that the flex lines imparted to the supply stubs was effectively countered by the cable ties on the valves so no forces on the pipes themselves. 18 hours after install I disconnected the lines from the shutoff valves getting ready to go get nuts and hard lines, etc., but I found that the flex lines had taken a set and there was no longer any force at all. I left the strain reliefs in place, they are unobtrusive... and called this project done.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited by raylo32; 11-26-2011 at 04:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to raylo32 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-26-2011)