Faucet Seat Grinding - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

faucet seat grinding

Hello! I've two mixer taps in my appartment that have begun leaking again (from the spouts) and I only changed the washers a couple of months ago. I've thought of buying a seat-grinding tool, but when I went to the store it said on the packet that it is not for mixer taps. Assuming that it is a build up of limescale behind the washer that's causing the problem, how can I remove it? Will white vinegar do the trick?? If, once cleaned up, the taps continue to drip, what else could I try to resolve the problem? Replace the inside mechanism? Replace the tap? One of the taps is quite old, but the other was only replaced 3 years ago. I do unfortunately live in a highly hard water region. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisement

belcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

faucet seat grinding

Take the faucet stems back off and look at faucet washers. IF they are chewed up stick your finger in the offending hole and feel if faucet seat is 'rough'. next, with a flashlight see if it has replaceable seats. Sort of a metal washer type thing that screws into the main hardware. Some do, some dont. Replace them if you can. Sometimes they are very stubborn. And if they dont cooperate or arent replacable, replace the whole faucet. I would get a 'good' one quality wise, and preferably with replaceable seats. Not the place for a box store cheapee!!! And even name brands MAKE cheapees these days. Probably only on one side of faucet they are rough, but could be both if water is corrosive. A softener saves some of this from happening. Cartrige faucets leak too if you get a piece of inside the pipe scale in them and are alot more expensive r&r. Happy plumbing and let us know what you find on your flashlight journey!!!

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

faucet seat grinding

Hi Justdon,
thanks for your advice! I'll be taking the taps apart this week and will of course post my findings on the site afterwards :-)
belcas is offline   Reply With Quote