Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Newbie
 
kymira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Share |
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Hi there this will be my first faucet replacement. After constantly replacing and checking both compression stems Ive finally decided just to replace the whole thing.


This is my current faucet :






Underneath the counter :





Id like to replace it with a faucet similar to this type:







Now my concern is the newer faucet's base is much narrower than my old one. I have no problem drilling new "center" hole on my counter, but how do I cover up the existing holes which the new faucet will mostly likely partially overlap.

Is there a type of plate I can use underneath the new faucet base? other options?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

kymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,159
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Quote:
how do I cover up the existing holes which the new faucet will mostly likely partially overlap.
Get your new faucet and see if that's the case first.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Member
 
Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ky
Posts: 411
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


I agree with Bud.
Most of the new kitchen faucets i've put in recently are just wide enough to cover the old holes (some barely, but they still covered).
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Newbie
 
kymira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Get your new faucet and see if that's the case first.

I see your point. But Hypothetically when one runs into this problem.. what are their options?
kymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Member
 
Ironlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 701
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


In your situation most people buy a faucet that is the same configuration as they one they are replacing. For you that would be two-handle widespread 8" centers. There are three hole single lever faucets that use widespread holes so see if you can find one that you like and it will make your job easy. Your selection will go down when you add the pullout feature but you can probably find one.

If you want to go with a different config that is not three hole wide spread then you need to see if the width measurement of whatever flange it has is wide enough to cover your old holes. Probably isn't. Buy locally if you're not sure or you'll pay return shipping and probably at least 10% restocking if you have to return it.

If you are set on that specific faucet and want to plug the holes and not have it look like a$$, that is going to be tough. I would probably find a piece of laminate that matches as best as possible, cut it to cover, glue it down, and rebore for your new configuration.

Here is a three-hole widespread single lever faucet. This is the route I would go if I were in your shoes:

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=7425

Last edited by Ironlight; 12-01-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
kymira (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Newbie
 
kymira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
In your situation most people buy a faucet that is the same configuration as they one they are replacing. For you that would be two-handle widespread 8" centers. There are three hole single lever faucets that use widespread holes so see if you can find one that you like and it will make your job easy. Your selection will go down when you add the pullout feature but you can probably find one.

If you want to go with a different config that is not three hole wide spread then you need to see if the width measurement of whatever flange it has is wide enough to cover your old holes. Probably isn't. Buy locally if you're not sure or you'll pay return shipping and probably at least 10% restocking if you have to return it.

If you are set on that specific faucet and want to plug the holes and not have it look like a$$, that is going to be tough. I would probably find a piece of laminate that matches as best as possible, cut it to cover, glue it down, and rebore for your new configuration.

Here is a three-hole widespread single lever faucet. This is the route I would go if I were in your shoes:

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=7425

thanks Ironlight. I didnt realize how much work it would be just to change faucet styles. I'll weigh out my options and re-post with my final results
kymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Ironlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 701
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


It's not a lot of work, you just need to choose wisely so it's NOT a lot of work, lol. And you're doing your homework now which means you'll save yourself a bunch of grief, or at least know what you're getting into, when it comes to installing the thing.

I should have been clearer about one thing...some single lever faucets, even if they only require a single hole for installation, come with "deck plates" for exactly your purpose of covering existing holes. Just make sure that the faucet comes with a deck plate wide enough to cover 8" on-center holes. Some may be wide enough to only cover 4" holes. The specifications of any given faucet should give you the width of any included deck plate.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Newbie
 
kymira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
It's not a lot of work, you just need to choose wisely so it's NOT a lot of work, lol. And you're doing your homework now which means you'll save yourself a bunch of grief, or at least know what you're getting into, when it comes to installing the thing.

I should have been clearer about one thing...some single lever faucets, even if they only require a single hole for installation, come with "deck plates" for exactly your purpose of covering existing holes. Just make sure that the faucet comes with a deck plate wide enough to cover 8" on-center holes. Some may be wide enough to only cover 4" holes. The specifications of any given faucet should give you the width of any included deck plate.

Yes the faucet Im looking at does have an optional deck plate. I'll probably run to the store before hand and measure it first.
kymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,159
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Get your new faucet and see if you even have a problem before you take away years of your life worrying about nothing.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Newbie
 
kymira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Faucet Replacement - not sure what to do about the counter holes...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Get your new faucet and see if you even have a problem before you take away years of your life worrying about nothing.
I like to plan ahead before problems arise. Not to worry, Im still young and have plenty of years to kill, old man


BTW if it does end up being too narrow, Im thinking something this would help with the cover up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B001HBPHRW

kymira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delta 1400 Faucet cartridge replacement johnnie101 Plumbing 1 06-09-2011 07:01 AM
Faucet Cartridge removal -- what should I have done? RippySkippy Plumbing 9 08-20-2009 08:49 AM
Rattling garden faucet supply pipe OneTripper Plumbing 2 06-29-2009 07:58 PM
Faucet replacement rondo Plumbing 2 12-03-2006 12:49 PM
Under counter microwave replacement rmh218 Carpentry 4 11-09-2006 10:08 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.