Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |

Faucet leaking on tub, could just be cartridge?

Hey guys!

Tonight my wife pointed out to me something I've noticed a couple times before, but it never really occurred to me. Be easiest to just show a pic here.

My tub faucets sit flat on the horizontal surface of the bathtub, and a little bit of water was leaking out of the little space in section 1, and a little from the space in section 2, as well.

My first question is, could this just be the cartridge inside the faucet? I could just go grab a replacement, but I'm iffy on how to pull it out and install a new one - I took the knob off, and it seems to be in there pretty tight, unsure of how to proceed there.

Secondly, could this be leaking down into the house itself? I checked the ceiling in the room beneath, and there's no indication of this, but I just wanted to be safe, as well. When I pulled the knob, the entire thing seemed pretty tight in there, but since there was water coming out, I'm obviously concerned.

Thirdly, after I repair this, should I be caulking around the space between the tub and the silver ring there? Or is it not caulked for a reason?

Thanks very much! Look forward to hearing from you guys,

Gord
Attached Images

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

it is probaly just the stem packing nut needs to be tightened remove handle and tighten packing nut turn on tub spout and look for water sepage

jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
it is probaly just the stem packing nut needs to be tightened remove handle and tighten packing nut turn on tub spout and look for water sepage
Thanks for the tip, will check it out - would the water seepage be primarily outside the actual tub enclosure then in this case?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

depends on if ring has a seal gasket under it or plumbers putty or sealant if not sure can not hurt to put a little clear bathroom grade silicone "like ge silicone ii" around them
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Thanks again Jay - quick question, is the ring that you're referring to the piece in Section 1 there? The one that is flush with the tub itself? Also, how would I remove that? Is it a standard thing that locks to a base point already on there, or are they generally just stuck on with glue? I'm going to give it a whirl tonight and see what I can come up with.

Quote:
depends on if ring has a seal gasket under it or plumbers putty or sealant if not sure can not hurt to put a little clear bathroom grade silicone "like ge silicone ii" around them
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

POP CAP OFF top of handle remove screw then lift off handle #2 could be held by friction or set screw or it could be a nut itself with 2 flat spots on side to turn and the same with 2 i would seal between 2 and tub only. and in some cases the packing nut or cartridge nut can be turned by just removing the handle. to see an example look at link scroll down through it.

http://www.lasco.net/f1.htm#subcat2

if that does not work turn water off to tub and unscrew nut remove stem or cartridge take to box store and match up with replacement stem or cartridge parts some times you can just get the top seal,or washer or o ring causing it to leak if getting new stems or cartridges there are some times a hot and cold other times same works for both
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

Sweet man, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for, awesome help.

Quote:
Lots of help, great link