Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

failure rate on "no solder" plumbing lines

I just came across shark bite "type" fasteners[ on you tube] that replace soldering. Are these as reliable as they make them sound? They sure sound too good to be true????? If Anyone has used them, could you please let me know what you think? We are looking to put in a water softener and they sure would be nice to use if its tried and true. Thanks!

fricandfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

I know how you feel.. I had/still have the same concerns. I have used them from time to time in "non-closed wall" situations. I have several in my crawl space when I repaired a leak and I used them for shower plumbing when I remodeled a bathroom (I have an access door to the shower plumbing in the back of a closet and can get to them easily if I need to replace)... They've been in place for about 3-4 years now and I check them a couple times a year and they're holding fine so far. They're defintely great for temp needs.. such as, I'm currently replacing an old bathtub with a whirlpool tub and I've used the "caps" after cutting the plumbing until I move the plumbing at a later date.. they hold great for that... and all the "caps" are on their 3rd or 4th use with no problem. They are expensive though compared with old fashioned soldering... Also, I have a good friend who is a plumber and I talked to him when I first was introduced to the shark bites.. he said he uses them often as long as it's not in a "closed" situation. I think since they're a reasonably new product they not tested. But so far, so good. Hope this helps.

cm3putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #3

They are accepted by most plumbing codes now in non-hidden areas, and some are OK for hidden areas. As to the failure rate, how often do soldered joints fail. Close to 0, that is what it should be for these new products. They are expensive, so you would likely not save doing a whole house, but they work fine for a quick small project.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #4

I have had them on my pex pipe for several years now without leaking a drop and in the dead of winter with no heat.I alos have a couple that transit pex and copper they are great also just wish they would cut the cost a bit
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Sharkbites are code accepted by UPC and ICC for use in concealed locations as well as direct burial. No need to have access to them. I have yet to see one need replacing due to leaking.

Would I plumb my whole house with them? No. That's what PEX or copper is for. But for quick repairs by pros or for DIYers that lack the tools or talents to run copper or pex they're a great invention.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote