Failed Inspection Again..... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

failed inspection again.....

i have now failed my rough in inspection 3 times.......
1st time he noted= install tub (slab on grade and he was afraid he wouldnt have an acess hole to view in later), nail plates. i installed tub and added needed nailplates
2nd time he noted needs 1 nail plate near tub in case of errant screw between studs. i installed nail plate asked for even though it was not needed.
3rd time he states tub drain configuration incorrect. i was peeved because this wasnt noted on the prior inspection but now he calls this out? i have the overflow tied in after the trap and he wants it before....
he wants it tub drain, overflow tie in then trap, then discharge. i have it tub drain, trap, overflow tie in, discharge...........

Advertisement

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

The overflow and tub shoe should tie into the trap. If the overflow is downstream of the trap you'll have sewer gas entering the house

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 302

How in the heck did you even tie the overflow in after the trap? Yeah, that's not a good thing and needs to be fixed.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

i agree.
my main line has a y with the stack vent just before the tub line......
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,724

As an inspector myself if I pulled 3 inspections with three different failures for different reasons my ass would be out on the street. We have to note all reasons for turn down with code sections. Once that is done we can only turn you down if you repairs were bad or you did something elese not done the first time.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Tying in the overflow after the trap points to the fact that you don't understand the purpose of the trap. As Taylor said, How the Heck did you manage that? I do agree with Ghost though. He should have picked that up right off the bat.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Their are people called plumbers who know how to do these things correctly so you don't have to fail 3 inspections, somethings should not be left to the DIY'ers sorry guy. down here homeowners are not allowed to perform work requiring permits.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

That's how you learn. You try, make mistakes, correct them. That's why they have inspections. I do understand your frustration though. It should have taken one inspection to cover all of your issues, then a second inspection to verify they were done correctly. Around here, the inspectors think they are god and can do what they want. Not like you can complain though, otherwise you'll never pass again.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Dont you have to provide an isometric drawing of your plumbing to receive a permit?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Dont you have to provide an isometric drawing of your plumbing to receive a permit?
I've heard of some jurisdictions requiring that....... never understood the logic behind it.
What if you can't draw iso's- you find someone to do it for you
Commercial jobs usually have the iso's, fixtures and calcs. on the drawings
Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Sure makes me feel better about where I live....passed the first time......

Oh....and passed my framing inspection today....time to start closing up walls

(not that I'm trying to rub it in)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

yes i know the meaning of a trap- it wasnt 3 life safety faills.... it was 1. tub-nailplate (he wanted the floor flate on even thought the final floor covers the contact area- it was exposed during rough in work so i agreed) 2. then a nailplate that wasnt even needed he just wanted 3. overflow piping. i piped it the way the inspector drew it on the permit when he noted tub intal to see trap piping. i am getting called out for doing something the inspector drew wrong? geez..... around here a homeowner takes a test to see if they can pull the permit for their own work on their own house.....
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Don't you just love when they require you to do something...above and beyond code, such as a nailing plate where it isn't required. We have some inspectors that just love the power, and if you tick them off, they will basically tell you they want to see this and that, even though it's not required by code.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
down here homeowners are not allowed to perform work requiring permits.
Wow, that sucks. The wife and I built our house by ourselves. The only things we couldn't legally do were drill the well and install the septic system.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

funny you mention the ticking off issue---- that is what i am dealing with- i have even mentioned it to my building inspector whose reponse was "yeah he is gonna lean on you for awhile for pissing on his shoe"

long story short- during ground work- 1 day prior to concrete pour- he failed me on the vent off the main line (stack vent) he said he preferred me to run a wet vent instead of the dry vent i had.. i called him and spoke about this- he wanted me to run the wet vent a 7' distance thru 2 window king studs i dint have to go thru because of opinion. i questioned this and he said do it the way it asked please. i asked if my way met the code and he said yes but he wanted it wet vented not dry stack vented. i said i wanted to talk to the chief plumbing inspector for clarification. the chief inspector met me out on site the next day and passed me- he said that the inspectors interpretation was ok but i had installed to code and the better way in his opinion.

now every inspection has been rough----

Advertisement