DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

External washing machine line.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Homerepairguy 
#1 ·
I am trying to plumb in an external washing machine line. I have an aerobic system and have to pump it every year because we are washing clothes for 6 people. And my system only has the capacity of 500 gallons per day. So I am thinking of drilling a hole in the exterior brick of the house and going up inbetween the studs and also tapping into my hot and cold water going to my washing machine so I can put a wash basin in my laundry room. Also I was going to put like a lift station or a plastic barrel with a sump pump with floats and run some lines around my house to water the foundation. Because in Texas the summers are brutal and have to water the foundation constantly and it causes and extremely high water bill. Does anyone have any ideas I would appreciate it..

#6 ·
My understanding is that Soaker Hoses give a constant slow stream of water which prevents a lot of the evaporation. On the other hand Sprinklers spray Droplets that have a greater evaporation rate somewhat defeting your idea of saving water. I am just guessing here but what if you dug a trench around your house lined it with gravel your hose then more gravel and connect it to a rain barrel that can collect rain plus Gray water and use gravity to feed the system? I would even consider taking it a step further and adding a piece of perforated pvc pipe around the house that the soaker hose can slide into. I think this could allow for easy inspection of the lines.

I would think that someone in Landscaping may have an idea on for they water gardens that may help you

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with the concept of foundation watering---Here we work extra hard to keep the water away!

You could easily bury a perforated pipe around the house---keeping it level so you don't create traps or bellies--Add gravel to the trench to allow drainage from the leach pipe---

do a free fall basin/exit pipe (so the water will spill out harmlessly to the ground if the leach pipe gets clogged)

I suggest you use a solids pump--they are pricey but are less likely to clog up with lint.

This system you propose may not be allowed by code-----Mike------

#3 ·
I'm not familiar with the concept of foundation watering---Here we work extra hard to keep the water away!
In many areas of Texas they have expansive clay based soils. They dry out and shrink, get wet and expand. This movement plays hell with the foundations. They water the areas around the foundation to keep the moisture content constant. And then the soils don't move.

#4 ·
Thanks RJ---I suspected the clay was the reason---Should have tossed in a smiley face.

I live through a drought in California ,long ago, We ran the shower drain water to our vegetable patch-

#5 ·
The Texas summers put a toll on the foundations that is why I was thinking of using my gray water from my washing machine to water this so the soil will stay moist. Otherwise it will dry up and crack the foundation. And then the house will shift and crack the drywall and cause problems with doors not closing. So I do run soaker hoses in the summer around the house. But I am trying to just put in some pop up head sprinklers ran by a sump pump and a couple of valves to eliminate the soaker hoses and keep the gray water out of my septic system. I am on my own system so it doesn't go to the city. Any more suggestions would be appreciative.:):):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.