Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,002

Exterior sump pit for pool/ground water

I've an inground, vinyl-liner pool near Philadelphia.
Every spring when I open the pool the ground water over the winter puffs up the liner from the sides and bottom. I have to then insert a 1" PVC pipe between the liner and the metal pool side and pump it out. (see pic at left below)
Although the end of the PVC pipe only goes to the bottom of the shallow end (about '4), the water that puffs out the liner at the pool drain (about 9') goes down as I pump. It can take hours to pump it down.

After 6 years of this, I thought if I had a sump pump next to the metal pool liner I could pump the ground water out all winter. My crude drawing is at bottom on right below.

I'd have to cut the sidewalk along the pool to make the pit obviously.
The ground slopes away from the sidewalk so I can pump out to 6" below the sidewalk level and slope downwards.

My questions:
1. Since Philly is frequently below freezing, how might this affect the sump pump process?
2. How deep need I go? I don't want to go much beyond the lower edge of the metal pool liner which I think is about 3'.
3. Do you think this will work?

Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior sump pit for pool/ground water-photo-2.jpg   Exterior sump pit for pool/ground water-pool-pump-pit1.jpg  

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,076

I thought you were suppose to leave water in the pool year round. Otherwise, eventually your walls will collapse. Lower the level below the intakes, Drain all lines, filters and pumps but leave water in the pool.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Yes, water stays in it as you describe.
The "billowing" effect must be due to the extensive force of the ground water that accumulates over the winter (very clay soil, I think the water migrates to the hole in the ground created by the pool and then accumulates there.
As I pump the water out behind the steel wall, the billowing goes away (thankfully).
You can see how the liner billows out along the left side of the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior sump pit for pool/ground water-billow.jpg  

Last edited by bob22; 09-11-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'd install it so that the top of the pump is about 4 feet below grade. The sump pit should have a good collar/lid assembly that fits snug, strong and secure. I'd also skip installing a check valve on the pump's discharge line; that way it doesn't stay full of water between cycles which would make it susceptible to freezing.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
bob22 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

There may be a leak in your pool vanilla or the concrete is cracked and pooling water..... I would re line it and repartee the concrete behind the vanilla. ... It shouldn't do that

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using diychatroom.com mobile app
chillz911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I am no expert but have never seen this before

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using diychatroom.com mobile app
chillz911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Chillz911,
Here's another:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-Thanks-Irene!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 166

If the pool was installed with a porous material (sand) around the outside then the hydrostatic pressure from this material is forcing the the liner in. You will need to drain this layer by installing a perforated sump with a pump. The sump will need to reach the bottom of the pool to insure proper drainage of this layer. If you need maintenance done on your pool, you will also need to drain this layer to keep the hydrostatic pressure form collapsing the wall.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard View Post
If the pool was installed with a porous material (sand) around the outside then the hydrostatic pressure from this material is forcing the the liner in. You will need to drain this layer by installing a perforated sump with a pump. The sump will need to reach the bottom of the pool to insure proper drainage of this layer. If you need maintenance done on your pool, you will also need to drain this layer to keep the hydrostatic pressure form collapsing the wall.
I agree in principal but since the little 1" pipe pump method works and it is sucking from only at most 4' down, I don't see what my idea wouldn't work.

To do as you recommend, would mean pulling the liner from the pool, digging 4' down below drain level, sink a pump in the pit (electrify it somehow without running into code issues), run drain line across bottom, up side, under sidewalk, to exit. That would entail a lot of work and $s IMO (and without guarantee of it working).
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 27

I don't think there is anyway of saying one way would work over another. the proper way is excavation and drain tile which you said is most likely out. I would just do what you want and see what happens.

You might want to try and contact a pool company and see if they have any experience with your situation

ct18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ct18 For This Useful Post:
bob22 (09-15-2014)