Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exterior faucet repair/replacement problem

Iíve had this 70ís house for just over a year. One of my exterior faucets has a constant drip. As you can see in the attached photo, it has been painted over, and probably calcified as well, so breaking it apart to repair seems a challenge.

Replacing it is a challenge as well, since itís soldered in place, and thereís no exterior access due to the brick. In the photo, Iíve pulled it out from the wall as far as I can.

I cannot access it from the interior. Iím on a slab, and the interior wall is covered by a bathroom vanity (no access through the cabinet -- it doesnít even have an interior shut-off ).

Any suggestions on how to approach fixing this? Is there some secret to removing the paint to attempt disassembly? Is there some secret on how to replace the whole thing (other than tearing apart the vanity cabinet and going into the wall)?
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior faucet repair/replacement problem-img_3157-1.jpg  

Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

you can either remove the stem and if the seat is good just replace the washer ( paint won't matter) or open the back of your vanity cabinet and cut it out and soldier in a new one.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

I scraped the paint from around the seam with a nail, and tried to take out the valve assembly. I can't get the thing open. I've got it soaking in WD40 right now.

I've been using a large crescent wrench, and am concerned with stripping it. I'm also concerned that I'll damage a connection inside the wall if I try too hard to open it.

Is there a special technique or tool I need to use to get this $#%@ thing opened?? Thanks for any practical suggestions!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #4

Welcome to the world of old plumbing. I've always likened it to lighting a fuse to a bomb in the dark. You don't know how long it going to be before the explosion. Prayer is helpful LOL. Seriously, It's always a gamble putting a pipe wrench on a old fitting or valve. I always look at the worst case senareo first and see if I can live with that. If I say yes, I proceed very slowly. You can't rush anything. Light hammer blows sometimes help
coax a stuborn valve. I SAID LIGHT. Good luck and I wasn't kidding about the prayer.
LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

A large pipe wrench. make sure you back it up. ( have a wrench on the valve so it don't twist the whole thing)
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, guys! After posting yesterday, my first thought was that I needed to get two pipe wrenches to tackle this problem. Guess I was on the right track -- just didn't think of a hammer!!

Alas, after over an hour working on the thing, I discovered the disadvantages of brass: VERY SOFT. Also, apparently welded together, for all the progress I was able to make!

As seen in the attached photos, all I could do was strip the screw holding the handle (which impared my vision -- primarily an aggrevation), and tearing up the fixture -- but no movement. Grrrr....

I guess I've decided that replacement is the only real option. As a short-term fix (since I'm not ready to tackle the real job yet), I'll buy a cap and washer to seal up the fixture for now.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I couldn't show better results.
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior faucet repair/replacement problem-img_3158-1.jpg   Exterior faucet repair/replacement problem-img_3162.jpg   Exterior faucet repair/replacement problem-img_3161.jpg