Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Extension for cleanout

I have a 4" cast iron cleanout wye. It is in an inaccessible area right now. It is just out of reach around a corner. Inspector said it was ok to attach an extension to the accessible side of the corner.

How do I connect plastic to the cast iron wye? Is there a threaded ABS (or PVC) pipe I can thread onto where the cast iron cap was, and then attach a plastic cleanout plug there?

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Extension for cleanout

Is the old clean-out held in with lead and oakum, or is it held onto the wye with a no-hub clamp?

The answer can complicate things. If it's no-hub, then you can simply remove the end clean-out and attach your PVC with a 4" PVC to No-Hub adaptor with the same clamp. If it's a poured lead joint, then the inspector will probably expect you to melt the existing end clean-out out of the joint, and pipe from there beginning with a PVC "manoff" fitting held into the wye by a newly poured lead joint. At least that's what would be required here in MA - check your local codes. Here in MA, you can't take out just the plug and screw in a male adaptor and go from there.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #3

Extension for cleanout

I don't know about the lead and oakum.
this is what it looks like.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #4

Extension for cleanout

Yeah, you have "service weight" cast iron pipe and fittings (aka - "bell & spigot"). Check out this diagram:

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Joint-485.jpg

Oakum is sort of a waxy/oily, fibrous material that gets packed into the hub (bell) of the fitting around the straight end (spigot) of the next fitting or length of pipe. It helps to make the joint water-tight as it tends to swell a little after it gets wet, but it also serves to keep the lead from spilling right past the joint when it's poured.

In any case, check with the inspector and see if he'll allow you to simply remove the clean-out plug, leaving the female fitting in place, and adapt to it with a 4" PVC male adaptor. As I said...that's not allowed here in MA, but it may be in CA.

If he says no, ask if you can use a service weight gasket (after removing the old lead and fitting). The gasket takes the place of a new lead joint.

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-23-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
acerunner (10-23-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

Extension for cleanout

I will have to asks after the weekend. Although if you are right, I would be worried about using the lead and oakum. Never done it before. How do you melt the lead? Will a standard propane torch be able to melt lead?

Is this the gasket you're talking about?
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/donuts-o-rings/donuts
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

Extension for cleanout

yea thats what he was talking about. getting the lead and oakum out of the existing joint is a PITA. You'll be melting and scraping lead for awhile to get it all out. I would cut out the cleanout and install pvc/abs with nohubs to connect back to the cast, or just screw in a mip. may not be code, but is it that important? No water will flow thru it, and it won't break if you properly strap it in
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

Extension for cleanout

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
yea thats what he was talking about. getting the lead and oakum out of the existing joint is a PITA. You'll be melting and scraping lead for awhile to get it all out. I would cut out the cleanout and install pvc/abs with nohubs to connect back to the cast, or just screw in a mip. may not be code, but is it that important? No water will flow thru it, and it won't break if you properly strap it in
it IS important because I am doing permitted work, so there will be an inspection. Also, the pipe for the cleanout is a short ~1" stubby as you can see in the picture so there isn't much area for the clamp to hold.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Extension for cleanout

Just reread the post, didn't see the part about the inspector before. If he ok'ed an extension, ask him if its ok to thread in ABS to the cleanout adapter. If you have to pull the fitting, get a good mapp torch and a small chisel. Heat, scrape, repeat I've never poured lead, but i think it had to be 1" thick so it'll be thick. have fun
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Extension for cleanout

The threads for that clean-out will not be 4" they will be 3 1/2" you need to get that entire clean-out fitting out of the hub and redo it with either lead and okum or service weight gaskets.

SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperPlumberGuy For This Useful Post:
braindead (10-24-2010)