Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Extend wall or cut tile?

HI,
The new tub I have installed is wider than the old one. The wall on the side of the shower head is a few inches narrower than the rest of the room. Unfortunately there is not much more wall beyond the tub, before it widens. I have included pictures. Any suggestions and reasoning would be appreciated as to whether or not I should try to build out the wall to accept more of the tile or cut the bullnose. Here is some more info:

My main tile is 10x16 so I have a little more than enough tile to get to the edge of the tub from the inside corner with only two tiles. (the tub is 32".) If I cut 1.5 to 2" off the bull nose, I will have to cut more into the main tile as well.

The left wall of the surround is flush with the rest of the wall on that side of the bathroom.

I am leaning towards building the wall out at least a little so I wont have to cut as much into the bullnose, but am wondering if I should build it out enough to place a whole piece or close to it.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Extend wall or cut tile?-tile-dilemna0.jpg   Extend wall or cut tile?-tile-dilemna1.jpg   Extend wall or cut tile?-tile-dilemna2.jpg  
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
DIY staff

Extend wall or cut tile?

I'd build the wall out a bit---that tub skirt would need to be perfectly plumb to go for a full tile---so check that first--If not plumb plan on trimming the bull nose--
wraiththe (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #3

Extend wall or cut tile?

The tub is prety plumb and only off by a minor ammount. I think the gap will not vary by more than 1/8" so I can make up for it with the caulk?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Tileguy

Extend wall or cut tile?

Finish the corner with wallboard, install a plastic corner and finish it. That will move the corner outward slightly. Then cut the tile to scribe to the tub. If the tub is a little crooked that would be normal, no big surprise there. Cut the tile to fit to the tub with about a 1/8" expansion gap.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
wraiththe (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #5

Extend wall or cut tile?

The tub is pretty square and leveled. for now my plan is to tile off the tub unless this proves difficult. My last tile on tub looked like crap. They were uneven and it leaked apparently. I will dry fit it first. I am really hoping it will work the way I want it. What do you mean by plastic corners and scribing. (I am using %100 waterproof Wedi board.)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
DIY staff

Extend wall or cut tile?

Dry wall corner bead---(no rust)---I think that was Buds intention.
wraiththe (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Tileguy

Extend wall or cut tile?

Quote:
Dry wall corner bead---(no rust)---I think that was Buds intention.
Correct, make that corner as if it were going to be painted.

Quote:
The tub is pretty square and leveled. for now my plan is to tile off the tub unless this proves difficult.
Not good enough. Either the tub is level or it isn't. If it is not then you should begin your tile less than a full row up using a ledger to rest the tile on and then later cut the bottom row to fit the tub.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

Extend wall or cut tile?

What is the tolerance?

IF I can get the gap to 1/8" on one side and less than or at 1/4" on the other, would that be sufficient? I mean it is that close. The short sides are perfectly level. It is so close to level that I even thought to just make the whole back wall match the tub. It seems a lot easier than cutting the tile. There will only be the equivalent of four tiles across the back wall. or am I being retarded?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Tileguy

Extend wall or cut tile?

I would cut the tiles. That is better than settling for a tell-tale growing gap. What would be wrong with doing it correctly?

Lower the second course up (and start there as I said before) so that you are cutting about an inch or so off of the bottom of the bottom course. This way the tiles can be cut slightly crooked to maintain an even (parallel) line along the top of the tub. It would then be correct visually and a small crook following the crook of the tub will go unnoticed.

Taking the path of least resistance usually ends in disaster.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #10

Extend wall or cut tile?

You all are most wise. Resistance is futile. I just took my 4' leveler over the back edge of the tub to find that it is not even, nor will it ever be even. One of the reasons I chose the Kohler sterling archer tub was because of the evident slopes on the sills from the wall to the tub.

The back line of the tub is curved with a much higher point at the shower side sloping down into the tub. The middle edge on the back wall is the low point, and the other end also has a high point although lower than the shower side. The real difference is in the center of the tub which dips down at least 1/4". To validate you all, despite my best intentions (paving the way to hell..) I should lay the tile from the middle, up and down - cutting the bottom edge to fit the tub.
Thanks,

Now to decide where to start and also how to fasten a level piece of wood to the Wedi with out going all the way through if possible.

Over analyzing pays off sometimes, but it takes longer to get there.

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-02-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Tileguy

Extend wall or cut tile?

Now you're catching on. To establish your layout, determine which side of the tub is the lowest and layout so that that lowest spot gets an inch cut off the tile. This way there won't be any surprises after you have committed to a layout and have some tiles on the wall.

Use a straightedge of some kind and screw it to the studs through the WEDI. Don't worry about the holes it creates, they will be very small and later you can caulk them before you install the bottom row of tile.

You can buy two five foot long metal shelf standards that are straight and true. Screw them to the wall into the studs. Cut off a few inches so that the one fits into your surrounds five foot dimension. Cut the other one in half and do all three walls at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
wraiththe (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #12

Extend wall or cut tile?

We redid the studs in one wall today, cut and added custom made furring strips, and after a debate, I was talked into tryin to add a nitch, establishing the Keystone tile.. using the bottom line of the second row of tile and dry laying the tile to determine the best places for the nitch in terms of cutting tile and aesthetics. we made absolutley sure the box was centered and left a little play for height. Hoping once the board and tile goes on, that it falls where we planned.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
DIY staff

Extend wall or cut tile?

Sounds like you are getting this done right---be sure to waterproof that niche---

I suggest several coats of Redguard (Custom Products---Home Depot) I use a different brand myself--but that one works well and should be less costly and easier to find---also--I would coat the whole area--but if you choose not to--at least coat the sections by the tub skirt--those are the most common to fail prematurely.---Mike--
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Extend wall or cut tile?

We finally reframed the walls and fitted the first Wedi board. I was convinced to put in the nitch and it worked out OK. Since so many people gave advice, thought to post a pic. The framing does seem excessive and this would now be the safest room in a hurricane. Note the black dots on the frame show the original studs. and the dark piece used to go all the way from wall to wall. I will probably only use the WEDI waterproofing compound to seal he nitch and the board to the flange of the tub.

(unnless someone thinks that is a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Extend wall or cut tile?-bathroom-first-wall.jpg   Extend wall or cut tile?-frame-first-wa-markedl.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Tileguy

Extend wall or cut tile?

Does the frame of the niche overlap the WEDI?