Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1

Share |

Expantion Tank

I want to disconnect my baseboard heat from my boiler and only use it to heat the domestic hot water, do I STILL need the expantion tank hooked up? I have lowered the boiler temp.
EdgarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

Expantion Tank

It never hurts to have a tank and they are not expensive. Now that check valves are bring installed in supply systems it will relieve the sudden hammer effect when water is cut off. The main purpose is to relieve pressure on the water heater piping from expansion which can cause T&P valve to open and sometimes they do not seal back very well. Systems worked for many years without them but if it were me I would install one.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Expantion Tank

A boiler is still a boiler. The expansion tank is still required. I know the argument is that you have lowered the water temp., and most domestic water heaters dont have expansion tanks, but your boiler still has to be installed according to manufacturers recomendations, and local plumbing and mechanical codes.

The only exception that I know of is a pool heater.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

Expantion Tank

here is a small fac of life. Everytime the water heater cycles on it makes the water expand ever so much. I have seen where this expansion HAS to go back thru the water meter,,,then when it cools you pay for it again, then it heats and it sends it back,,,back and forth EVERY time it heats(and cools),,,YOU pay for the SAME water. IF you HAVE the expansion tank in the system LEAVE IT!!! it isnt costing you anything at this point and could cost you as described IF you dont
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

Expantion Tank

Keep the expansion tank. It doesn't matter how low the temperature is set, heating water causes it to expand, increasing the pressure in a closed system. While this may not ever cause a problem, why not just stop it from happening?

Check out my goofy video for my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #6

Expantion Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
here is a small fac of life. Everytime the water heater cycles on it makes the water expand ever so much. I have seen where this expansion HAS to go back thru the water meter,,,then when it cools you pay for it again, then it heats and it sends it back,,,back and forth EVERY time it heats(and cools),,,YOU pay for the SAME water. IF you HAVE the expansion tank in the system LEAVE IT!!! it isnt costing you anything at this point and could cost you as described IF you dont

YIKES! That makes the case for a back flow valve on ones water system AND an expansion tank!