Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |

Expansion Tank Electric Hot Water

My brother lives in a mobile home park. originally, the owner paid the water bill for everyone, but during the winter too many people left the water trickling so pipes wouldn't freeze, so his bill was huge. So the next year he has the city put meters on everyone's house. Then my brother's elec hot water heater started leaking. A plumber told him this was because when they put in the meters, they should have put in an expansion tank....which makes no sense to me! the only difference is that now you have a meter on the side of your house. However, according to my bro, once they put in the expansion tank, his elect bill went down $10 a month....

I have never seen an expansion tank with an electric hot water heater. It only provides DHW.

is this common now, to use an expansion tank with electric hot water heaters? would it have made a difference in his electric bill? and now his hot water heater is leaking again...is it something to do with pressure again? Should he try to remove some of the pressure from the expansion tank?

Thanks!

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Expansion Tank Electric Hot Water

All water heaters need an expansion tank. Water expands slightly when heated so without the expansion tank the water eigher bcks up into the water main out in t hje stret or it trips the pressure relief valve on the heater.

Or the expansion of a tankful could be the straw that breaks the camel's back when the tank finally rusts out.