Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |

Ever hear of this?

Brand new Kohler toilet installed with new pvc soil line and floor flange. After about 2 weeks I noticed a stain on the ceiling tile below the toilet. I saw a very small drop of water on the elbow and traced it to where the floor flange attaches to the ell. I used a flux brush to apply more glue around the seam and I thought I got it. But after about 6 hours a little drop appears. It does not leak when flushed I made sure to check on that. Has anyone ever heard of this? Any ideas for a fix?

hompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Ever hear of this?

Did you clean & prime the pvc b-4 you installed the flange ?? Only fix I know is to take it off clean & prime & use plenty of glue

Last edited by kenmac; 03-19-2009 at 10:58 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Ever hear of this?

you are saying you leak with out use the flusher . make sure the bowl is sealed to the closet flange . did you use a wax gasket ? how low is the flange? did you screw the flange to the floor ? and last the bowl is tight to the closet bolts? check all these .if a little drip comes out of the horn of the bowl it will run on the pipe ,making it look like the pipe is leaking , if the pvc is not sealed use silicone .
metx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #4

Ever hear of this?

A small leak might not drip until several minutes or maybe an hour after the last flush. It depends on exactly where water accumulated on the inside on pipe edges and rims. A single layer strip of toilet paper pressed here and there is an effective telltale indicator of where water is coming from given very small drips.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-20-2009 at 09:41 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Ever hear of this?

Using glue to repair leaks on PVC is usually futile. You may want to remove the toilet, clean and thoroughly dry the area (with a blow dryer) and use 100% silicone all the way around the inside where the pipe and flange meet.