Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Is this even possible??

I live in an apartment with no washer/dryer hook-ups built in, but I've been offered a fairly new, working set for FREE. And this is a huge deal to me being a mother of two girls under 2 yrs old- the laundry just piles up so fast, not to mention the expense and hassle of bringing everything down to the laundomat... it just seem like we've been short on clean everything since moving here.

So I'm hoping to be able to jury-rig something. I'm thinking the dryer vent can go out the back window, and we might figure out how to connect hoses for the H and C water on the washer, I just don't know about the drain.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!
Allison

Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Is this even possible??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity
So I'm hoping to be able to jury-rig something. I'm thinking the dryer vent can go out the back window, and we might figure out how to connect hoses for the H and C water on the washer, I just don't know about the drain.

Thanks!
Allison

Is the dryer gas or electric?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #3

Is this even possible??

Quote:
I live in an apartment with no washer/dryer hook-ups built in, but I've been offered a fairly new, working set for FREE.

Thanks!
Allison
Does your lease allow you to have these in the apartment?

If the washer leaks and damages the floor will the owner be happy? Who would pay?
If the dryer over heats and cause damage to the apartment will the owner be happy? Who would pay?
Do you have renters insurance?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #4

Is this even possible??

The washer and dryer are both electric. As for if they are allowed... that I don't know. I've never heard we can't, but I've never asked, either. My apartment manager also has little kids, so I think she'd let us. :D And yes, we have renter's insurance. It's required by law in my state. Hope that answers all questions.

Allison
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #5

Is this even possible??

Quote:

The washer and dryer are both electric.

Allison
The dryer may have an electric cord but it could still be gas. The electric cord on a gas dryer is to run the motor that turns the drum/ tumbles the clothes.

Is the cord on the dryer the same diameter as the cord for the washer? If the cord is the same size then the dryer may be gas. If the cord for the dryer is larger (more than twice the size) then the washer then it is electric. You cannot not just plug an electric dryer into a regular wall outlet. It needs to have a specail outlet because the electric dryer uses the power to run the motor and to power the electric elements that heat up the air to dry the clothes.

If the dryer is gas then you will need to have a gas line going to it.

Regarding the washer, how close is the nearest drain line? (ie. a sink drain, tub drain...)
How close is the nearest hot and cold water?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #6

Is this even possible??

Well, it turns out not to matter since they were given away to someone else right after they were offered to me.

But thank you anyway for taking the time to help me figure out if it would work. (And it was really sounding like it wouldn't.)

Thanks!
Allison