Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Eternal Hybrid Water Heater Noise

Hi All,

My GF and I bought a "fixer upper" bungalow in June last year and have been renovating it since. When we bought the house, it came with an old rental electric water heater, which we returned. We ended up going with an instantaneous hot water heater, as it's a small house and it's just to two of us.

The model we went with after much research is the Eternal Hybrid GU195S. Overall, we have been very impressed with it's performance.

A month or so ago we noticed that after we close a hot water tap and the burner turns off, the unit makes a loud humming noise for about 5 seconds, then stops. This now happens every time we open and close a hot water tap.

Furthermore, a few weeks ago the unit has started to make a loud, pulsing, vibrating noise that can be head throughout the house. This happens intermitently after the burner has come on.

The unit is mounted on plywood, which is secured to a concrete block wall. 3'' intake and exhaust piping were used and the gas line is 3/4'' (reduced from 1'' supply). We also have 3/4 copper COLD going into the unit, and 3/4 copper HOT coming out.

I was hoping someone else on here had an Eternal Hybrid (GU145S OR 195S) who might be able to shed some light on this situation, and make some suggestions.

-Dave

jacquesstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,870

Have you called their customer technical help line?

That's where I would start--

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesstrap View Post
Hi All,

My GF and I bought a "fixer upper" bungalow in June last year and have been renovating it since. When we bought the house, it came with an old rental electric water heater, which we returned. We ended up going with an instantaneous hot water heater, as it's a small house and it's just to two of us.

The model we went with after much research is the Eternal Hybrid GU195S. Overall, we have been very impressed with it's performance.

A month or so ago we noticed that after we close a hot water tap and the burner turns off, the unit makes a loud humming noise for about 5 seconds, then stops. This now happens every time we open and close a hot water tap.

Furthermore, a few weeks ago the unit has started to make a loud, pulsing, vibrating noise that can be head throughout the house. This happens intermitently after the burner has come on.

The unit is mounted on plywood, which is secured to a concrete block wall. 3'' intake and exhaust piping were used and the gas line is 3/4'' (reduced from 1'' supply). We also have 3/4 copper COLD going into the unit, and 3/4 copper HOT coming out.

I was hoping someone else on here had an Eternal Hybrid (GU145S OR 195S) who might be able to shed some light on this situation, and make some suggestions.

-Dave
that is why I do not reccomend these types of heaters nothing but trouble....sorry
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Could you keep us posted on your findings? I'm interested in acquiring one of these. Thanks.
cerfsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Hey there,

No update yet, we have been busy with other renovations to make our house move-in ready, so we haven't had a chance to look into this. I'm going to call the technical support number on the water heater to inquire and see if they can offer an explanation/quick fix. I'll also reach out to our installer and see if he can have a peek.

@cerfsud, in terms of performance, this thing is absolutely outstanding. We are very impressed, it's just this noise that has us concerned.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

If yours is a gas fired one then let me this throw this theory out there. I'd had a gas valve fail that made the same loud humming noise, whole house one though. I replaced it and it's been fine ever since.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
If yours is a gas fired one then let me this throw this theory out there. I'd had a gas valve fail that made the same loud humming noise, whole house one though. I replaced it and it's been fine ever since.
Thank you for this information VIPlumber. The valve issue you had was regarding an Eternal Hybrid, and not another tankless correct? We've had the unit for under a year, so there should still be a 1-year parts 'n labour warranty for it. I'll contact their support line and inquire.

I'm guessing this isn't something I can do myself?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

It was in fact the gas regulator (my mistake in calling it a valve yesterday) for my house. There has to be a reg in your tankless unit somewhere to knock the pressure down from what ever the supply pressure is to the right amount for your unit. Every gas fired appliance must have one. It should look something like this;

As to whether you can do this yourself or not, I would not recommend working on gas anything to a diyer. And since the unit is still under warranty, why not have a pro do it? I've worked on my tankless at home a few times and space is limited in the cabinet, therefore it's a bit of a PITA to work on while leaving everything in place depending on where the problem is (interestingly never at the front though).

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternal, hybrid, water heater