Escutcheon Plates Won't Fit - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

escutcheon plates won't fit

My plumbing inspection failed as the inspector asked to put escutcheon plates around all pipes in the vanity sink but I was able to get them and close all with 3/8th plates but the drain pipe may be due to the hub or joints something I tried all plates upto 2 Inch ones none of them fit ...I couldn't find those plates bigger than 2 inch any solution ? and also is there a way to patch the drywall around the plates ? looks like my plumber cut big hole on the drywall around the drain pipe...and the escutheon plates won't cover the complete hole on the drywall Can someone please help?

Advertisement

karsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html#twopiece

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Hi Bob,

the max size they too have is 2 Inch and it doesn't fit as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Those hinged escutcheons are made of lightweight (tin) metal. Take a pair of snips and cut the hole bigger for God's sake.

If the plumber enlarged the hole let the plumber fix the hole, Tell him HIS work didn't pass inspection and to come back and fix the wall.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Those hinged escutcheons are made of lightweight (tin) metal. Take a pair of snips and cut the hole bigger for God's sake.

If the plumber enlarged the hole let the plumber fix the hole, Tell him HIS work didn't pass inspection and to come back and fix the wall.
Thanks Bud Nice idea...but cutting the escutcheons with a pair of slips may not look good or hold tight but will try, and btw that plumber charging a fee to come back even if he messed it up, very hard to find good and reliable people.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

I can't begin to tell you how many of those escutcheons I have cut over the years. Cut them to fit (trial and error) and then put a spot of silicone caulk on the pack and stick it to the wall. Done.

Call the plumber and see what he says.

There are also small patches you can buy for drywall repairs. Buy one big enough to more than cover the hole. Trim it to fit around the pipe and glue it to the wall. Put the escutcheon over it and call it done too.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I can't begin to tell you how many of those escutcheons I have cut over the years. Cut them to fit (trial and error) and then put a spot of silicone caulk on the pack and stick it to the wall. Done.

Call the plumber and see what he says.

There are also small patches you can buy for drywall repairs. Buy one big enough to more than cover the hole. Trim it to fit around the pipe and glue it to the wall. Put the escutcheon over it and call it done too.
Thanks Bud...caulking around it is a nice idea. thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

A good plumbing supply house will have plates for copper and iron pipe (plastic). Take a fitting with you to get a close match then trim to fit

Advertisement