Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

entran 3 repair, please help

I'm a contractor remodeling a bathroom. One of my guys hit a hydronic line when chipping around a drain to replace it. The line is Entran 3 and my plumber and I are having a hard time finding the right way to fix it.

I do not want to use copper as it could eventually develop holes in 10-15 years. Any plumbers out there remember what the Entran couplings looked like. Anyone know how to get a hold of one?

Right now we have a piece of 3/8" copper as a stint in the tubing with compression bands around it so the system is working but until we find a proper fix we are dead in the water.

Really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

desert builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert builder View Post
I'm a contractor remodeling a bathroom. One of my guys hit a hydronic line when chipping around a drain to replace it. The line is Entran 3 and my plumber and I are having a hard time finding the right way to fix it.

I do not want to use copper as it could eventually develop holes in 10-15 years. Any plumbers out there remember what the Entran couplings looked like. Anyone know how to get a hold of one?

Right now we have a piece of 3/8" copper as a stint in the tubing with compression bands around it so the system is working but until we find a proper fix we are dead in the water.

Really appreciate any help anyone can provide.
wow i thougth there was a law suit over that stuff..made by goodyear...don' think you are going to find any..make the repair as professional as possible and move on....imo see if someothers have any suggestions...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

The lawsuit involved Entran II which had a nitrile interior which developed problems. Entran 3 has an EPDM interior.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
wow i thougth there was a law suit over that stuff..made by goodyear...don' think you are going to find any..make the repair as professional as possible and move on....imo see if someothers have any suggestions...
I agree with the repair idea. I never heard of the stuff and used google- doesn't sound promising.

I bet your 3/8 copper tubing will outlast the entran 3
ben's plumbing (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ayuh,.... Never heard of it, but googled it as well,...

I'd think you'd use the same repair as used with the black rubber Onyx I've used,...
Just yer standard everyday hose to hose barb, yellow brass, 'n a couple compression clamps,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-28-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #6

I posted the same question on a different forum and got some pretty good information.

I have decided to use the fittings for Onix tubing with their torquetite clamps. It is the closest thing on the market to the Entran 3 and seems like it will be the best fit.

There is a lot of good info here for anyone else who finds themselves in this same situation in the future

[system won't let me link the site so you would have to google heating help forum and entran 3 to find the discussion]
Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,458

Thanks for the info----you need to have 5 posts before you can post link (I think it's 5--Spam is the reason)