Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Eljer toilet repair

We have an Eljer toilet, which I believe to be a Patriot Triangle. There is a date stamped inside, Oct. 12, 1964, and a number 1124. About 4 months ago we replaced the ball cock and flush handle. The replacement ball cock was not an exact match, but the closest we could find. It seemed to work fine for about 2 months then the flush handle broke off, because it took so much pressure to push it down. We replaced the flush handle but have not been able to figure out why it continues to be so hard to flush. I have looked for replacement parts on-line but have not been able to find anything that looks like the inside of this toilet. I have attached a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Eljer toilet repair-100_2106.jpg   Eljer toilet repair-100_2107.jpg   Eljer toilet repair-100_2108.jpg  

KAParrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

Eljer toilet repair

I had that problem for a while. I have replaced three handles on my 1960 Eljer toilet in the last two years. I have replaced the upper brass part (the one that attached to the handle in your second picture) with a chain and have been good to go for quite a while now. Try that.

ngrasso59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Eljer toilet repair

Thank you very much for the suggestion to use a chain in the toilet. So far it is working.
KAParrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

Eljer toilet repair

when the end of the flush handle lever doesn't pull the ball wire perfectly straight up through the supporting bracket then the force needed to pull it is significantly greater. Add to that the mechanical disadvantage of a long flush handle lever inside and a short flush handle outside and it seems as if you have to push ultra hard to flush the toilet.

You might get some improvement if you drill or ream out the hole in the bracket if the ball wire has worn a snug fitting groove in the side of the hole resulting in more contact area between wire and hole and more friction.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-29-2010 at 07:25 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote