Electrical Current In Shower Drain - Weird - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical current in shower drain - Weird

I have posted about this on the "electrical" topic however since I have located the source I am posting here.

I purchased a house about a month ago. After showering a couple times I realized that there was electrical current running through my shower while the water was on. It was a couple volts so I could feel it in my fingers when I touched my shower head or faucet. I hired two separate electricians. The first re-grounded the house and it did not help. The second isolated the problem to coming from my shower drain.

My home inspection states that my drain system is PVC and my water supply is copper.

I am calling a plumber now (after spending $500 on electricians) but was wondering if I could get some input from everyone about this issue.

Advertisement

CaptHanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm betting something's loose in the service. I've seen a loose service neutral cause this exact problem.

It is a BIG hazard and it could potentially kill you in the right conditions. Even an imperceivable amount of electricity can stop your heart if it travels through it, let alone a shock you can feel. I'd suggest contacting a master electrician, not a big outfit in the phonebook that has multiple less-educated electricians working under one guy's masters license. If someone is a master electrician, they're normally very, very competent. Just because someone works for an electrical company doesn't mean that they even understand fault current and such...It just means that they know how to make the lights come on. When dealing with electricity, just because something works does not mean it is safe, as you can probably attest every time that you take a shower.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #3

Why would it be isolated to only one shower drain though? I have tested all the other drains in my house...?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #4

So this is been eating me up. I grabbed my multimeter and went around my house to all the water faucets. It turns out the the hot water lines under every sink have a couple volts in them, it goes up when the water is on. I went up to the attic and looked at the water heater...

The hot water "OUT" line has a considerable amount of corrosion. So I tested that line against the gas line going into the water heater. Here are some pictures...

Here is a line of me testing the base of the hot water OUT line below the corrosion...

Here is a picture of me testing the house leaving the water heater...

There is a plastic separator between the house itself and its female connector. This is a gas heater.

Could the grounded problem be fixed by replacing the hose maybe?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHanky View Post
So this is been eating me up. I grabbed my multimeter and went around my house to all the water faucets. It turns out the the hot water lines under every sink have a couple volts in them, it goes up when the water is on. I went up to the attic and looked at the water heater...

The hot water "OUT" line has a considerable amount of corrosion. So I tested that line against the gas line going into the water heater. Here are some pictures...

Here is a line of me testing the base of the hot water OUT line below the corrosion...

Here is a picture of me testing the house leaving the water heater...

There is a plastic separator between the house itself and its female connector. This is a gas heater.

Could the grounded problem be fixed by replacing the hose maybe?
although your hot water heater is gas...i am assuming it takes electricity to run something on it...power vent?..thermostat?..something
if you are reading any voltage from your tank to ground first thing to try is shutting off the breaker to the water tank..then retest..if you get no reading of voltage..you know your problem is with the tank...
i dont think you need to reground the tank itself...you need to find out what is wrong with the existing wiring and looking at the tank first is a good place to start

i am not an electrician by trade and but just adding my 2 cents ..your problem needs immediate attention
billie_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #6

It isn't the water tank...I'd take that to Las Vegas and bet on it.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

did you think about calling your phone company...they always need a true ground (copper water line) at their termination from the pole?thats a low voltage that they send down the lines to run the network disconnect the phone line at the junction on the side of the house see if the voltage drops off the tank and pipes.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

WOW...thats dangerous. So when the trap fills with water it completes a circuit. Have you turned off the electrical main to the house and showered? Are you measuring AC or DC voltage? Trace out your gas line and see if there are any ground wires connected to it, there shouldnt be. What is the devise to the right of your meter?

That pressure relief should be piped with copper.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 06-22-2008 at 11:22 AM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

If you cut off the power to the house and the voltage stops no need to call the phone company. Phone company was a good thought.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #10

the way your using the meter at the HWH try it at the main circuit breaker panel.shut the main from the at the top of the panel get your copper pipe again with the one probe...and hit all the blacks out of all the breakers going up into the house.if you have a TRUE electrical ground you should see "infinity"if any thing is "mechanically grounded" you will pick up a meter reading in ohms.check your neutral block of whites stacked might get a ground there?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

I would agree with KCTERMITE that it is probably not your water heater. Even if it was the water heater, a qualified electrician should have been able to find the problem. It sounds like the water piping is being used for a ground and there is a problem with the electrical or phone system. I would find out if the electricians installed a ground rod and, if so, if they moved any existing ground wires from your piping to the ground rod.

This is something, obviously, that needs to be addressed because it has the potential to be extremely dangerous.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.

Last edited by mstplumber; 06-23-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #12

I shut the main off this morning and tested it. There is still electrical current in the water pipes...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #13

Have you followed my suggestion and checked the service wire conductors in the panel and in the meter can? That can't be checked in the meter can without pulling the meter...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Have you followed my suggestion and checked the service wire conductors in the panel and in the meter can? That can't be checked in the meter can without pulling the meter...
No I have not because I am not sure which wire that is...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #15

Son of a B#@ch. I found the problem.

I shut off my electrical main, disconnected my phone and cable, and walked out and tested the water lines coming into my house against my neighbors.

Approximately 3 weeks ago when we first moved into this house, the City of Houston decided to install new wireless transmitters on all of the water meters. This allows them to read meters without ever stopping a van.

While these wireless "iTron" transmitters were being installed, someone must have improperly sealed one of the wires.

Advertisement