DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   electric water heater shut off (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/electric-water-heater-shut-off-135127/)

caryn keeper 02-26-2012 02:38 PM

electric water heater shut off
 
My water heater is inside my kitchen cabinets. My sink is next to the heater and overflowed onto the floor. Would this turn off my water heater? The cabinet is installed and the water heater is closed in. Could my overflowed water have turned off the heater if the water landed on the floor near the cabinet?

joecaption 02-26-2012 02:42 PM

Did the water run down inside of the heater?
A picture of what you may help. Just open up the cabinet doors and step back so we can see the relationship.

caryn keeper 02-26-2012 02:45 PM

unfortunately the tank is inside the walled in cabinet and can only be accessed by taking out the cabinet.

plummen 02-27-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryn keeper (Post 863928)
unfortunately the tank is inside the walled in cabinet and can only be accessed by taking out the cabinet.

Well all I can say is if you cant see the heater,theres no way we can see it any better than you can :wink:
Have you checked fuses/breaker? :)

Javiles 02-27-2012 08:43 AM

What may have happened is the heater over heated (bad thermostat?) popped the T&P valve open then the high limit shut the heater down. Thatís the little red button on the thermostat. If thatís the case you may have a bad or starting to go thermostat. Also find a place to relocate that water heater if possible. Good Luck.

bob22 02-27-2012 04:45 PM

How can installing a water heater inside of a permanent "box/cabinet" be 1. a good solution, 2. a code-legal solution?

ben's plumbing 02-27-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob22 (Post 864967)
How can installing a water heater inside of a permanent "box/cabinet" be 1. a good solution, 2. a code-legal solution?

yes agree with bob...what the @#@#$%....can't be right is this a trailer???

Javiles 02-28-2012 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have tons of them here in the Miami beach area, they started with the old table top models in the kitchen, over the years kitchens get remodeled and the water heater has no place to go so they installed them under the counters inside the cabinets crazy man, pain in the but to get to never mind replacing.:yes:

ben's plumbing 02-28-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javiles (Post 865425)
We have tons of them here in the Miami beach area, they started with the old table top models in the kitchen, over the years kitchens get remodeled and the water heater has no place to go so they installed them under the counters inside the cabinets crazy man, pain in the but to get to never mind replacing.:yes:

wow what a pia only seen something close to it in mobile homes...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.