Electric "point Of Use" Water Heater Units. Am I Wrong? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Electric "point of use" water heater units. Am I wrong?

Please correct my thinking here.

I'm in the market for a water heater. Mine is getting old at almost 25 years.
So I've priced a Richmond, appropriately sized for a four person household, 2200 sq ft single story ranch.
http://www.menards.com/main/water-he...738-c-8690.htm

800 dollars.

While researching water heaters I was reading an argument about how much hot water is wasted over the course of a year while washing hands and dishes etc while waiting for the hot water to fill the lines between the tank and the faucet. Then the water that is in the pipe run just dissipates its heat until the next time the tap is opened.

So I looked up tankless heaters for "point of use". Three appropriately rated units, one under the bathroom in the floor joists, one under the kitchen sink, and a third wall mounted above the washing machine.

Re-plumbing gas lines throughout the house is much more difficult than running wires so I looked into electric models. Turns out they're not terribly expensive, even for a four gallon per minute continuous flow rate.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CFIQ8wIwAA

http://www.rheem.com/products/tankle...kless_electric

To purchase and install three of these, appropriately sized, for point-of-use in the single bathroom, kitchen, and downstairs laundry, the total initial cost is actually a bit less than the single 50 gal Richmond.

Understanding that electric water heat is more expensive than gas, wouldn't these three point-of-use units still be less expensive to operate given the fact that no energy is lost in long runs of pipe, no water is wasted while waiting for the hot water, and there is no need to maintain 50 gals of water at heat on a constant basis?

Advertisement

frascati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,600

I'll get you a gas heater for about 2/3 of that Menards unit- in fact, I'll suppl and install it for around a $1000. Then you won't need extra wiring or re pipe work.
BTW have you read reviews on those point of use units? I'm not impressed with them- but thats my opinion....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (02-16-2013), TarheelTerp (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Electric tankless water heaters either deliver very small water flows (about one gallon per minute) or draw tremendous amounts of power when they come on. It is possible you won't be able to run one without upgrading your electrical service including the lines up to the utility pole and the main panel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,212

Have you factored in the cost to run new electrical circuits for these heaters? And to possibly add a subpanel if your main panel doesn't have at least six vacant slots? And to possibly upgrade your main electrical service to handle all three heaters being on at once?

Another thing that may be an issue is that tankless heaters are not recommended for use with hard water. It will kill them in short order if it's really hard.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

I've also heard that if you have hard water, those point-of-use heaters have a pretty-short lifespan. Just another thing to look at in more detail and factor into the equation.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Garbage... those POU you looked at are made by titan for rheem made here in Miami, nothing but trouble and you will not save a dime, the cost of that unit operating exceeds the overall amount of power used lost and at idle on a conventional water heater, you have no idea how many of these things i pull out of homes and re install the original model the home came with. do your self a favor don't use them.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Any appliance that depends on an electrical dead short to operate will spin your meter like a top. Stick with Natural Gas if you can. Look at the on demand NG hot water heaters, they are the better way to go.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Any appliance that depends on an electrical dead short to operate will spin your meter like a top. Stick with Natural Gas if you can. Look at the on demand NG hot water heaters, they are the better way to go.
I agree. I have a gas tankless and love it. Absolutely zero problems in four years. If you don't have NG in your area, there are models that run on propane.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,562

electric tankless...are thanklessben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote