Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

electric oil boiler? for hot water?

looking into buying ahouse that needs a lot of renovating. it currently has hot water or steam radiator, oil heat, everything else is electric. i think it is an electric water heater, but not sure, it could source hot water from the furnace. i dont remember. there is no city natural gas and im not sure it would be worth brining a propane tank in. i do not know the costs involved for that and ive been told propane is very expensive. what would be the best route for a water heater? i was looking into the tankless units, but the electric units seem to use a lot of electricity. with the cost of oil these days would it be a good idea to set up a boiler that will supply endless hot water? we would then use oil all year long. which doesnt sound like a great idea. what will cost more to run? i understand the elctric tankless guys use big power, but it is only for a very short period of the day, 2 15-25 min showers.

jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
looking into buying ahouse that needs a lot of renovating. it currently has hot water or steam radiator, oil heat, everything else is electric. i think it is an electric water heater, but not sure, it could source hot water from the furnace. i dont remember. there is no city natural gas and im not sure it would be worth brining a propane tank in. i do not know the costs involved for that and ive been told propane is very expensive. what would be the best route for a water heater? i was looking into the tankless units, but the electric units seem to use a lot of electricity. with the cost of oil these days would it be a good idea to set up a boiler that will supply endless hot water? we would then use oil all year long. which doesnt sound like a great idea. what will cost more to run? i understand the elctric tankless guys use big power, but it is only for a very short period of the day, 2 15-25 min showers.
Their is no point of getting a propane tank for your heat. You would need a very large underground tank which would be difficult to get permits for an costly to install. Stay with the oil heat.

For the water heater it's your choice. You could stick with electric. It's not going to make much hot water though so don't plan on any extended or back to back showers with the washing machine running.

You could go with an indirect tank off the boiler. During the winter when the boiler is running anyway it won't cost much extra to keep your hot water hot. During the summer it will cost more to produce hot water this way, it pretty much evens itself out vs the other methods if you have a long heating season.
This method also produces the most hot water the fastest. It doesn't seem like it but it is actually good for your boiler to keep it running year round as well.
The tanks are close to $2,000 then you need copper pipe, a circulator, and to wire the whole thing in. I

The third option is an oil fired water heater. Oil fired water heaters make a lot of hot water, much more than an electric, a bit more than a gas, and a little less then an indirect tank. They are expensive though. The tank itself is usually around $1800 then you have to buy a burner as well. Then you have to find a way to supply it oil without starving your boiler.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

ok, i didnt want to bring another fuel into the picture. i remember my brother was eager to get rid of propane when he had it.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote