Ejector Pump Venting - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
US ARMY RETIRED

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Ejector Pump venting

Hello all,

I am close to signing a contract to have my basement remodeled. I was originally going to do it myself but really didn't want the pain an angush.

I really like the engagement, personality and patience of the contractor I think I have settled on. We are now getting into the minor details. I have two questions.

The first, I have read a lot about the ejector pump that has to be put into the basement for the bathroom going down there. Everywhere I read it says the pump chamber has to have its own dedicated vent. The contractor has now said "his plumber says that as long as the other vents in the house are 2 inch or more it can be vented into the current system". Can anyone confirm or deny that? If "code" says it needs a dedicated vent, can someone cite the code so I can relay it?

The second, not so important question. This contractor says that now that the base contract is written (not signed). If I sign it and provide the deposit he can get started. The little stuff can come as change orders. My gut feeling is change orders can be a big stinkin' deal if we cannot agree.

This contractor has a very good reputation around our area. Compared to the other 4 contractors that interviewed this one was the most informative, professional, and yet laid back. Other than the plumber, all trades work directly for the contractor.

Your thoughts please.

Respectfully.

Advertisement

ACR_SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Ejector Pump venting

Ideally you want the pump on a dedicated 2" vent. Your sub drain system will be its own drain system, not connected to the normal system except by the ejection line- protected by a check valve. But, when remodeling, exceptions are made. I have done it as your plumber wants to- no problem. Make sure city approves

Sent from my DROID2 using DIY Chatroom

Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
US ARMY RETIRED

Rewards Points: 75

Ejector Pump venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
Ideally you want the pump on a dedicated 2" vent. Your sub drain system will be its own drain system, not connected to the normal system except by the ejection line- protected by a check valve. But, when remodeling, exceptions are made. I have done it as your plumber wants to- no problem. Make sure city approves

Sent from my DROID2 using DIY Chatroom
Isn't there a chance that if there isn't enough venting that it will suck the traps dry?
ACR_SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Ejector Pump venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_SCOUT View Post
Isn't there a chance that if there isn't enough venting that it will suck the traps dry?
IMO, very slim. You have vents at every trap to break the siphon