Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

efflorescence in basement bath

Question I am getting efflorescence coming up from behind my shower wall and from another wall where the basement floor is crumbling up. The bathroom was installed prior to us buying the house. Is it possible that he used the right mix of concrete on the floor when connecting the plumbing underground? or is maybe the waste lines are not connected properly. I have checked behind the shower wall with no evidence of water leaks...I have read of ways to clean it with water and vinegar.....Is there a way to seal the floor or will i have to dig up the floor???????

zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

Efflorescence is caused by water migrating through the concrete leaching minerals out to the surface. So the first thing you need to do is figure out the source of the water. It may be ground water or it may be from your shower or it may be from your plumbing.

You really don't want to unnecessarily dig up the plumbing and find out it was ok. Is there any way you can not use the bath for an extended period of time? If so clean up the efflorescence, don't use the bath and see if it returns. In the meanwhile carefully check your outside grading and downspouts to see if the water might be coming in from outside.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #3

There is no downspouts where the bathrom(s) are located....It's close to my back door and concrete patio....The upstairs bathroom is directly above the downstairs, thats why i'm wondering when they tied into the wasteline maybe they did something wrong....didnt glue the ABS ..maybe not using any ABS at all????
zoolou is offline   Reply With Quote