Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Easy Water

Our icemaker has failed twice in 3 years we believe because the water is hard. We want to buy the Easy Water system for our home. Any comments?
www.easywater.com

SparkySparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Easy Water

Read this and then get back to me

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html

I can go on and on for pages with the reasons why easy water and it's ilk do not work and can not work but most of the information is on that guys site.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #3

Easy Water

Thanks for the link...I suppose I'm back to square one now.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Easy Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkySparks View Post
Our icemaker has failed twice in 3 years we believe because the water is hard. We want to buy the Easy Water system for our home. Any comments?
www.easywater.com
Before a suggestion can be made, more info must be given. What do you mean "failed"? What are your water conditions, city, well, etc.? Do you have any water treatment?
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #5

Easy Water

Quote:
I've worked for both Rainsoft and Culligan dealers and personally, I don't believe Easy Water's claims.

I don't have any stock in Culligan, I was just a service and install guy, but water treatment is serious business to them. The dealership I worked at had D.I. water regeneration, a water bottling plant, commercial and residential softeners, Reverse Osmosis etc.

The point I'm getting to is that they know their water. If there was something you could wrap around a pipe to counter the effects of hard water, they'd be front and center. If it worked, Culligan would be selling it.

Btw, If you are just trying to keep hard water out of your icemaker, An undercounter R.O. would do the trick. You could probably get one and put it in yourself for $200

Last edited by lloydb; 09-22-2010 at 11:06 PM.
lloydb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydb For This Useful Post:
NHMaster (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

Easy Water

Before a suggestion can be made, more info must be given. What do you mean "failed"? What are your water conditions, city, well, etc.? Do you have any water treatment?

The icemaker's internal device became clogged with what appears to be calcium buildup, I can see the same buildup around my shower head & copper fittings, but not so much on brass fittings.

My refrigerator has a filter cartridge for the drinking water & I believe the ice maker as well.

My main question is "does anyone believe in "EasyWater.com"'s claims?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

Easy Water

Here is a picture of the plumbing underneath our kitchen sink. This is why we are considering Easy Water to eliminate the minerals that we believe are the source of our troubles.

Our plumber thinks we have an electrical ground problem, possibly. Remember this buildup mainly occurs on the copper fittings in our home, not the brass connections so much.

We had 2 slab leaks and 2 leaks in the walls that occurred in the copper pipes for no apparent reason in the last 3 years. Our home is 10 years old.

The 2nd photo is the piece of copper pipe that had a pinhole leak in it from under the slab of our home. It has a burgundy tint to it but we don't know why. The plumber does not know why the pipe failed. Maybe faulty pipe from the manufacturer, maybe soil interaction, maybe the bad electrical ground he suspects is causing all of our troubles.
Attached Images

Last edited by SparkySparks; 09-30-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Easy Water

I see no way it could work; akin to alchemy to change lead into gold. Might read:
http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=5152
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #9

Easy Water

[quote=SparkySparks;509398]Here is a picture of the plumbing underneath our kitchen sink. This is why we are considering Easy Water to eliminate the minerals that we believe are the source of our troubles.
First of all, EasyWater is junk. Now that got that out of the way let's review what you are considering. EasyWater's claim is to prevent scale build up IN not ON pipes. Looking at the build up, one might ask, How in the world would water traveling 'through' the pipe cause build up on the outside of the pipe?

Our plumber thinks we have an electrical ground problem, possibly. Remember this buildup mainly occurs on the copper fittings in our home, not the brass connections so much.
Again, if you can SEE it, it isn't caused by water flowing through the pipes. Your plumber probably know what he is talking about.

We had 2 slab leaks and 2 leaks in the walls that occurred in the copper pipes for no apparent reason in the last 3 years. Our home is 10 years old.
Sure there must be a reason. Corrosion. Corrosion can be cause by electrolysis by not grounding pipes or having electric wires coming into contact with plumbing. It can also be caused by dissimilar metals coming into contact. There are other ways copper can corrode. More likely, it is acidic water. What is you pH?

The 2nd photo is the piece of copper pipe that had a pinhole leak in it from under the slab of our home. It has a burgundy tint to it but we don't know why. The plumber does not know why the pipe failed. Maybe faulty pipe from the manufacturer, maybe soil interaction, maybe the bad electrical ground he suspects is causing all of our troubles.
"Pinhole leaks" this is corrosion not the opposite, which would be scalebuild up. So if Easywater actually did what they claim to do--remove scale build up--then your plumbing would corrode even more. Therefore, that last thing you want is someething to make the copper even more prone to corrosion, right?

In fact, a little scale build up would be beneficial to your plumbing. The negligible lose of flow due to a very minor scale build up is more than offset by the preservation of the plumbing by not getting all eaten away..

Last edited by Andy CWS; 10-01-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote