Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Easy Tub to Shower Conversion

I am about to purchase a home, but I wanted to get an idea of how much it would cost to convert the bath tub before I proceed.

The house has a 1950s era bathroom that has a tub only. I wanted to do an easy conversion to a shower (that doesn't involve breaking into the wall) until I have enough money to renovate the entire bathroom. I have seen products that is a new faucet with a diverter with a wall mount. This would be perfect (and I think I would be able to handle this project) however, this bathtub has a shelf that the fixtures come out of. The shelf protrudes from the wall too far that I would not be able to mount the pipe flush to the wall. Also, the wall is tiled all the way to the ceiling.

I have attached some pictures.

If this is going to be a costly or time consuming project, I'm going to pass on this house. Because the shower situation would need solved before I moved in.

Any advice??? Help!
Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Tub to Shower Conversion-dscn2409-2-1024x768-640x480-600x450-500x375-475x356-.jpg   Easy Tub to Shower Conversion-dscn2408-2-475x356-470x352-.jpg   Easy Tub to Shower Conversion-dscn2407-2-640x480-600x450-550x413-500x375-500x375-480x360-475x356-.jpg  

Swansea_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansea_D View Post
I have seen products that is a new faucet with a diverter with a wall mount. This would be perfect (and I think I would be able to handle this project)...
Maybe you could start by adding a link to show is what you are describing.

Also, is that a curtain (window) above the tub faucet?

Beyond what you already realize, there is another consideration. With tubs of this era, there is usually just drywall (possibly greenboard) or plaster behind those tiles. While you might get away with this for a while, long term this is a good recipe for mold and water damage with daily shower use.

I'm no expert, but I don't see an "easy conversion to a shower" and suspect anything you could come up with cheaply should be considered a temporary fix until you could tear it out and do it right.

Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product568

They sell kits specifically designed for claw foot tubs as well, but as you see, there would be no way to mount this on the back wall due to that shelf. I really didn't want to take on an added expense, but I guess I could use that in my negotiations. Any idea of a total cost to do it "the right way?"

Oh and yes... That is a window! To further complicate things!
Swansea_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,030

Remove the tub spout. Add a hand held shower head. Install shower curtain.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I believe that what rjniles was talking about is one of these,

You can find them in the plumbing section, along with the hose & head (perhaps in a kit), of any decent hardware store.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
I believe that what rjniles was talking about is one of these,

You can find them in the plumbing section, along with the hose & head (perhaps in a kit), of any decent hardware store.
You could theoretically install something like this with a flexible handheld unit. My concerns still apply though. And water that pools on the shelf will either penetrate and cause water damage, or dump to the floor on the side. If you do this, consider it a temporary solution.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Just talking temporary here now. There are "wrap around" shower curtains and rod system hung from ceiling, that will cover the end. Used on free standing claw foot tub showers, in fact they've been around longer than one side curtain. Went completly around tub, you could use one of those to aleveate blondesense's concerns. (aleveate, and i did it without spelczech) One of those trimmed to just above valve controls, so you can reach them, at the end. Use it with hand held flex shower. Might could rig up an end rods and curtainsyourself.
A wall mount with elbows, matching ones and other fittings made by same fine folks who made kit might not be available at big box where kit is, but they are available. Run up short wall, across shelf, up wall to above shower rod,(since that's behind curtain it could just be galvanized or pvc, entire thing could if you like that industrial look)) and out over it to tub. Run pipe straight up to ceiling,inside curtain, fittings available for ceiling mount too. Some brand fittings will work on other brands, most are just plated pipe after all.
Might wanta figure a way to keep bottom of short curtain against tile, and no open gap if using two curtains. Check behind there on shelf from time to time, to see how well you're keeping water out, you'll be able to see it from side. Watch for mold in there.
When you do see some damage back there, and/or other walls, time to draw up those plans for redo, when tiles star loosening, you'll have to redo. don't let it go too far or it will be rebuild with ripping out studs and walls and a big mess and great loud scary machines and surly burly men hangin around cussin and stuff.
A warning, my brother was building his own house, he's carpenter doing it as time, budget, materials allowed, got it closed in, plumbed, wired, he's ready to move in. He could rig up temporary kitchen and bath shelves, sinks and island cook top in 2X4 frames, make things usable. But his wife says, "No, we'll stay in dinky little house til it's all done, even if it becomes retirement home.Temporary has a way of becoming permanent." You might want to live with what you got til you can't take it anymore. That may turn out to be the same amount of time as it takes to not be able to stand temporary any way.
Is that a window? Well, new shower curtain will cover that. I once built and installed bathroom cabinets in the wife's suite of a huge mansion, Huge? my house would fit easily into that entry hall, the closets in bathroom were bigger than my living room, the closets had closets. Waist high, walk in 10X10 bath tub. Incredible place. The shower was an 8X8 bay, not just a bay, a bay window, all glass from ceiling to shower pan rim, jutting out from exterior wall and ovelooking neighborhood. Maybe she could hang a washcloth up or something to keep the neighborhood from overlooking back, I dunno. Yes, the truly incredibly rich are differant than mere mortals like me.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
Just talking temporary here now. There are "wrap around" shower curtains and rod system hung from ceiling, that will cover the end. Used on free standing claw foot tub showers, in fact they've been around longer than one side curtain. Went completly around tub, you could use one of those to aleveate blondesense's concerns...
BTDT.

We have one of those in our second bathroom! Two walls are brick, and I didn't want to cover them up, or lose the window so I bought one of these off of ebay for a reasonable price.
While it works for us, this is a second bathroom with a seldom used shower. Just used by an occasional house guest.

We used this shower while I tore up and retiled our master bath shower and believe me it is a PITA. It will motivate you to a better solution. While it is doable, the cold curtain grabs you every chance it gets, and there is no good place for shampoo or soap.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Doubt the tile on the walls have proper waterproofing behind them as it was built with only tub use in mind and you are just asking for trouble- mold, water damage.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
. or lose the window .
There's that window by the shower again. Do all budding architects have to pass a course taught by voyeurs?
I just clicked the "Converto Shower" link. They want 60 bucks for a couple of pipes and a shower head? I been in the wrong bizzness all my life.

swansea, forget the easy temporary conversion. You can't afford it, 60 bucks Get esimates on removing that shelf wall, re-walling and re-tiling (if needed) and putting in real shower. Yes, use that in negotiations. Either seller pays and has it done B4 move in, our best knocks off selling price and you pay and have control of quality and do some demo yourself.
nother reason to wait is go all cheapo, with new spout and rubber hose, and single curtain. blonde and pwg and I dunno who all have been telling you the tile's going to fall off the wall, the sheet rocks gonna crumble.
I had to replace rotting sill under THE STUPID, TOO LOW, WINDOW IN TUB SHOWER!! another reason not to put one there. Only way to get to it was thru tiled wall. I expected to break bunch of tile getting it off, so took one out (broke just a bit at corner) spent couple days going to every tile house in town, found a almost close enuff match, bought several. started pulling tile. After 2 or 3 they just peeled right off the wall, so easy and fast, almost self peeling, my main concern was breaking them as they fell into tub. Sheet rock just crumbled into soft mush that plopped softly into tub. Insulation a great sodden mass that lay in tub draining so I could haul it out . Sill, studs and plate rotting. Wasn't hard getting them out, replacing them, especially plate, in narrow gap between tub and sheating not so easy.
Soooo, go temporary just long enuff to loosen tile, soften rock, but no farther. Snake a mini spy cam into wall to monitor inside Include removing or at least raising window above shower blast in that estimate.

I won't bore you, much longer anyway, with how I didn't have to worry about the termites, cause the fire ants had built a veritable metropolis of 25 gallons of the finest tilled soil you ever saw on the slab, completely filling the hollow under side of the tub up to the rim. Fogging and spraying the most deadly dangerousest hazardous poisons I could find or create in my secret laboratory hidden behind my secret lair only riled up the entire multitudinous metropolitan maniacal myrmidons. Ever been bit by a fire ant? Ever been by a entire multi...well I dunno what that has to do with the price of pipe so i'll leave yall alone now.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote