Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #1

Share |

easiest way to remove a tub

Hi,I need to remove 3 walls and a tub.What's the best way to go about removing the tub,seperating it from the trap and such?

tileman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Remove the face plates from the overflow and drain. If this is a acrylic or fiberglass tub use a sawsall to cut it into manageable pieces. If it is steel or cast iron smash it to pieces with a large sledge hammer. Only if the tub is to be reused would you attempt to remove it in one piece.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Remove the face plates from the overflow and drain. If this is a acrylic or fiberglass tub use a sawsall to cut it into manageable pieces. If it is steel or cast iron smash it to pieces with a large sledge hammer. Only if the tub is to be reused would you attempt to remove it in one piece.
You crack me up I love your answers no baloney right to the point.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Thanks... to many questions... too little time.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Thanks Bob,not sure what type of tub it is yet,but I'll have someone there helping me so leaving it solid shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at my own tub,the overflow doesn't have screws.How is that taken off? And the drain plate is just puttied into the tub?Would a flathead screw driver work there?
tileman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

use a screwdriver to pry both loose and you are fine. Hit the tub with a sledge, if it cracks it is steel or cast iron, otherwise use the sawsall. trouble with the overflow or drain... just cut or break the area around them without hitting the plumbing itself.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

[quote=Bob Mariani;377621 If it is steel or cast iron smash it to pieces with a large sledge hammer. Only if the tub is to be reused would you attempt to remove it in one piece.[/quote]

Cast iron tub will bust up fine with a sledge. (Wear safety glasses and long sleeves and pants or you will bleed.) Good luck with a steel tub
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Cast iron tub will bust up fine with a sledge. (Wear safety glasses and long sleeves and pants or you will bleed.) Good luck with a steel tub
I agree, a cast iron tub will bust up fine with a sledge but a steel tub will just dent. A steel tub is light weight. Should be no problem to carry that once it is free fromt he wall.

If it is cast iron you should cover it with something like a tarp before you hit it witht he sledge. Pieces can go flying and they are sharp. wear gloves and eye protection.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Man of many hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman2000 View Post
Thanks Bob,not sure what type of tub it is yet,but I'll have someone there helping me so leaving it solid shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at my own tub,the overflow doesn't have screws.How is that taken off? And the drain plate is just puttied into the tub?Would a flathead screw driver work there?
I've seen some older Crane overflows covers that screw on to the overflow conector. The drain should be screwed into the drain shoe. A castle wrench is used to remove this. If your tub is steel and not planned for reuse, cutting it in half or at least making an angled cut on the end of the skirt away from the plumbing side will aid in removal.
Plug the drain and remove the walls first. The tub makes a good trash catcher if you are pulling tile off the wall and you'll reveal the tub lip.