Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

DWV, slab on grade questions

Slab on grade. One story, one room, basically. See pics. The first pic is the general layout. Double stud wall addition to a dry cabin. The second pic shows a stack near the toilet where a vent will go up and a drain will go down to the building drain. (1)The toilet flange should be level w/ the top of the concrete, yes? (2) When running 2" individual drains at 90 degrees to a 3" building drain, is it better to connect them w/ a 3-3-2 wye and a 2" 1/8th-bend, or use a 3-3-2 combo T-wye? Both will by running and lying horizontally. (3) The sink and washing machine will have a 1.5" vent line tied to the 3" stack at the toilet. The shower will not have its own vent. It is my understanding that a single bathroom needs only one vent (wet venting) so this should be OK, no? The upper right line in the first pic will run to a kitchen sink in a built structure and will have an AAV for venting. (4) The second pic, lower left corner, is how the toilet will connect to the building drain. Any gross errors, or too many to list? Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
DWV, slab on grade questions-jims-dwv-1.jpg   DWV, slab on grade questions-jims-dwv-2.jpg  

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

BTW: In the second pic, where it says to "drop down...." that text is an error. I forgot to hit the Enter button when I changed it. That will be a 4" wye-T.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

1. Flange flush with or on top of finish floor
2. Not sure your point. They are basically the same. Perhaps you are asking about putting a piece of pipe between the fittings? either way is fine.
3. One vent for the bathroom as you describe won't pass in my area. I cannot horizontal wet vent, only vertical- perhaps in yours?
4. You should use a vertical san tee, not a wye when branching to the toilet.

Very few plumbers in my area refer to wye/45's(combination wye eighth bend) as a wye-t, usually they call it a T-Y Are we talking about the same thing?
Where is this project? Do you know what code is used there?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Your location is very important here, as none of that would work where i'm at, because each fixture requires it's own individual vent.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
2. They are basically the same. either way is fine. It's just that the T-Y is smoother and I don't have to make up the fitting. Glad either will work, but I found T-Y's and like them better (gut feeling).

3. One vent for the bathroom as you describe won't pass in my area. I cannot horizontal wet vent, only vertical- perhaps in yours? Good point. I will check on that. If the shower needs a vent, too, I will work one in somehow.

4. You should use a vertical san tee, not a wye when branching to the toilet. OK. If the sanitary T is acceptable, I will use it. I also found T-Y's that, again, feel better to the gut.

Very few plumbers in my area refer to wye/45's(combination wye eighth bend) as a wye-t, usually they call it a T-Y Are we talking about the same thing? Yes. I am not a plumber, as you can tell.

Where is this project? Fairbanks, AK. I should have mentioned that.

Do you know what code is used there? Negative, but we are outside the city and therefor looser. I will try again to see someone in the city building department, but they really don't like to talk to you if you are outside the city.
Thank you very much! Pls see after the bullets above.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Your location is very important here, as none of that would work where i'm at, because each fixture requires it's own individual vent.
None? Yikes. I best try again to get local feedback, but plumbers are generally buried, esp in the summer. I think we could use about 10 more here. I'm in Fairbanks, AK.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
3. One vent for the bathroom as you describe won't pass in my area. I cannot horizontal wet vent, only vertical- perhaps in yours?
Eplumber: What do you mean by "horizontal wet vent"? All the vent pipes running horizontally, as in "in the plane of the floor"? That is what it sounds like. My vent pipes will be in the wall and will run vertically for a bit, then sloped 1/4" per ft over to the stack vent. Is that vertical wet venting, or horizontal? I have much to learn, as you can see. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #8

but this is the beast of which I spoke.
Attached Thumbnails
DWV, slab on grade questions-t-y.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Eplumber: What do you mean by "horizontal wet vent"? All the vent pipes running horizontally, as in "in the plane of the floor"? That is what it sounds like. My vent pipes will be in the wall and will run vertically for a bit, then sloped 1/4" per ft over to the stack vent. Is that vertical wet venting, or horizontal? I have much to learn, as you can see. Thanks.
I think what he means (and this is how we have to do it where i'm from) is that the vents have to come off the top of the pipe and travel vertically to 6" above the flood rim of the fixture being served before offsetting horizontally to intersect with another vent. So running vents horizontally under the floor doesn't fly unless you are allowed to use horizontal wet vents. This is mostly in reference to your shower, since you haven't drawn in provisions for an individual vent....

I'm also wondering where that 2" line is going off to
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think what he means ... So running vents horizontally under the floor doesn't fly unless you are allowed to use horizontal wet vents. Thanks for clarifying. My plan will be vertically wet venting then. Good.

This is mostly in reference to your shower, since you haven't drawn in provisions for an individual vent.... I am assuming now that I don't have to vent the shower. I just looked at the pics of my son's house and his shower is not vented. A very knowledgeable plumber was on board when we installed his DWV.

I'm also wondering where that 2" line is going off to. All 2" lines shown are drain lines for individual appliances. They feed into the 3" building drain via a 3-3-2 T-Y or a 3-3-2 Y.
Thanks very much for the reply. See after the bullets above. john