Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DWV for Potable Water?

I had someone repair my 3" PVC water line and they installed a small piece of NS-DWV pipe. The line is holding pressure (35 psi), but I am wondering if DWV rated PVC poses any danger to drinking water? Can anyone tell me if there is any danger from chemicals leaching from the pipe?

jamieswingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,134

DWV for Potable Water?

I've never heard of a 3" water supply line. That would be serious overkill. Are you sure that's what you have??

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

DWV for Potable Water?

Yes. I am sure and yes, it is overkill. I actually designed the water system, and I learned my lesson. Next time it won't be 3".
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #4

DWV for Potable Water?

OK. Back to your original question, I don't believe DWV pipe is rated for pressure. No clue about leaching of chemicals. Why not simply replace it with PVC?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

DWV for Potable Water?

D rain

W aste

V ent

That's it not water supply under pressure.

No. no, no.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,356

DWV for Potable Water?

I would have it repaired right....dwv is not intened for pressure useage...reguardless if it harmful or not dosen't change that fact....replace it..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #7

DWV for Potable Water?

Thank You. You have confirmed my thoughts. It is frustrating, because I didn't get what I asked for, and the temptation is to just let it go because it is holding pressure. But I know I am going to regret it if I do.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

DWV for Potable Water?

Was the "someone" who installed that stuff a licensed plumber? But even if they're not, call them back to do it right.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #9

DWV for Potable Water?

No. They are not licensed. I live out in the country and I am limited on local plumbing resources. They used the DWV pipe because it was readily available. One must drive 40 miles one way to find a supply of NW-PW 3" pipe. I have called them and they are coming next week to repair it correctly.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,126

DWV for Potable Water?

Typically water supply pipe is rated for potable use by NSF. DWV is typically NOT rated for potable use, both because of the pressure issue but also because NSF requires pipe that does not leach toxic chemicals. Best to use appropriately rated pipe for potable application. In three inch, you should be able to get NSF rate PVC or polyethylene, though how you came up with such a big service is still a bit murky to me.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-10-2012), Thurman (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #11

DWV for Potable Water?

The leaching of chemicals was my first concern and that is motivation enough to get this fixed right. However; after calling Charlotte Pipe and speaking with one of their engineers, I learned that DWV pipe will eventually fail even under nominal pressures if the edge of the foam core in the pipe segment is exposed to pressurized water (which it will be). The engineer advised that the DWV pipe is manufactured from the same material and therefore poses no safety hazard, but it is not manufactured to the same standard and therefore it will eventually fail. Moral of the story is "fix it right the first time" and verify that your hired help is working with the right pipe before you let them leave the job site.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamieswingle For This Useful Post:
Thurman (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,356

DWV for Potable Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieswingle View Post
The leaching of chemicals was my first concern and that is motivation enough to get this fixed right. However; after calling Charlotte Pipe and speaking with one of their engineers, I learned that DWV pipe will eventually fail even under nominal pressures if the edge of the foam core in the pipe segment is exposed to pressurized water (which it will be). The engineer advised that the DWV pipe is manufactured from the same material and therefore poses no safety hazard, but it is not manufactured to the same standard and therefore it will eventually fail. Moral of the story is "fix it right the first time" and verify that your hired help is working with the right pipe before you let them leave the job site.
yep only one way the right way....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

DWV for Potable Water?

I don't think you're going to find an answer to the potability of a DWV pipe, because as it's rated for DWV, there's no point in it being tested as an accepted or certified material for potable water piping.

That said, i'd probably tear it out and re-do it, and flatten the tires of the dork who did that to you.