Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

Share |

DWV Layout

Hi. New to this website. Hope my attachment shows up! I would appreicate if some of you plumbing experts out there would review my proposed DWV layout for a small cabin I am building. A 4" vertical vent stack is already in place. As the attachment shows the horizontal main waste line will be under the floor in the crawl space area. It will flow toward the septic tank which is also installed. The total distance from the vertical vent stack to the last branch fixture (kitchen sink), as the drain line flows is about 22'. The distance between the various branch fixtures will be no farther than 48" to the main waste drain line. Will this layout fly? Are there any other ways to simpify this? Thanks. Sonny
Attached Images

pvfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #2

DWV Layout

Is all this new plumbing or is some of it existing?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #3

Question

DWV Layout

the code (in most municipalities) maxes the horizontal cumulative distance from the main vent stack to 8 ft for 2 in pipe and 5 ft for 1.5 in. 22 ft is definitely outside the range, i would say even for a lenient inspector.

a separate question is whether it will do the job notwithstanding the code violation, as the code is most certainly written conservatively ? in other words, what is a realistic functional grace buffer in that regard ? this would be a question for pros, which i am not (i am a DIY-er who HAS done this kind of things).

my guess would be if you go up to about 50% longer than what the code allows, it would vent fine - provided you are willing to set the code aside ... i am, by no means, advocating illicit construction here.
amakarevic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

DWV Layout

Need to know what fittings are used and location of each fitting to tell you if it's good or not good.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #5

DWV Layout

Thanks guys for your replies. To answer some of your questions. This is a new installation, I am just in the planning stage trying to figure out a basic design concept on how to get my DWV sys. installed the simpiest way possible given what I have to deal with. The only installation I have to date is the 4" vertical vent sack & the septic sys. I need to design a way to get from the vent stack to the inlet of the septic tank. The distance from the vertical stack to the WC is ~7'. Moving the vent stack is'nt really an option. I don't think the "code" is an issue, but I want a good functioning sys. Are there any others ways to put in a DWV sys. given the location of the vertical vent & septic tank? Thanks guy!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #6

Question

DWV Layout

then it boils down to the question i raised, which is how far you can REALLY go from the main stack, regardless of what the codes says.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Journeyman Plumber

DWV Layout

As far as you want as long as the vent is within proper distance from the trap. Code is always is use.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #8

Question

DWV Layout

do you mean proper equals code-compliant ? what if a 2 in pipe extended 11 ft from the stack, would that render it insufficient, in addition to illegal, and by how much ?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Journeyman Plumber

DWV Layout

As long as you hit the vent within 5' the drain can be as long as you want it, providing you have grade.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #10

DWV Layout

thanks again guys for your input! Ron, not being a plumber I am somewhat confused about within 5' of traps statement. In my drawing all my fixtures connect into a common 2" vent line returning to the vertical vent stack. I could make all individual fixture traps connect within 5' of this 2" return vent line. Would this meet code? Hope this makes sense. Given where my vertical vent stack & septic tank is located and having only a 3' crawl space, how would you suggest I layout the sys. Thanks. Sonny
Old 03-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #11

DWV Layout

Wow, first post on the board

Hey man, it will work fine just like you're planning. I've done stuff half as professional as that and I'm still living here and everything works perfectly. And I'm an engineer.
wesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
I blame ProWallGuy

DWV Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesc View Post
I've done stuff half as professional as that and I'm still living here and everything works perfectly. And I'm an engineer.
OK, now you're just trying to scare people.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #13

DWV Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
OK, now you're just trying to scare people.

Lol, guess I should mention this is just a "guest" house, and we plan to live here about 2 years max, then it's just storage/guest house.

My "vent" is where I drilled a 1/2" hole in end of the 4" out pipe. I've never smelled any odors from it

Getting ready to build a nice house though out in the field, got to do it right. (Electrical engineer, not a plumber here for sure ) But that diagram above would be plenty "right" if you don't have to worry bout codes like I don't have to. As long as they're vented so they drain great.

Last edited by wesc; 03-20-2008 at 06:38 AM.
wesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Journeyman Plumber

DWV Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfarm View Post
thanks again guys for your input! Ron, not being a plumber I am somewhat confused about within 5' of traps statement. In my drawing all my fixtures connect into a common 2" vent line returning to the vertical vent stack. I could make all individual fixture traps connect within 5' of this 2" return vent line. Would this meet code? Hope this makes sense. Given where my vertical vent stack & septic tank is located and having only a 3' crawl space, how would you suggest I layout the sys. Thanks. Sonny

Meaning each 2" trap and arm, individual fixture must intersect a vent within 5' according to my code book.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #15

DWV Layout

Thanks guys for your input! I think that I am meeting all the requirements for a satisfactory functioning DWV sys. I do have a couple of additional questions.

1. being that my 4" horizontal drain line acts as a wet vent, do I need to run a vent line off the WC branch line? The distance from the WC trap to the horizontal drain will be under 5' and the vertical vent stack is ~7' away.

Is there a certain way to connect the fixture branch lines to the horizontal drain where they intersect? I believe that it needs a wye fitting, but how is it positioned? Thanks again! Sonny