Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dwv

Can DWV be routed any way necessary (with multiple 90's, etc) to reach the required location? The the DWV must line up with the top of the y to connect?? but can it then make a 90 right away or are there required distances to follow?

Would this work for example: (sink connects where blue and red lines meet.

Dwv-vent-pipe.jpg
Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dwv

Generally, your vents can go in all sorts of directions without too much problem, because they're carrying air and rainwater. The drains themselves should be routed as directly as possible with the consideration that they're carrying solids, and solids back up.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Dwv

KC, I apologize if this is not keeping with the topic, I have a 2" vent in attic 3 pipes connecting at a fernco "T". Woke up the other morning with water dripping through recessed ceiling fixture in the bathroom. One of the vent pipes somehow slipped out of coupling. There seemed way too much water sitting in the pipe. As long as they all go the same, I can pitch them down away from stack? Place is a ranch, that 2"vent is the last pipe connected to the stack before exiting the roof.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
DIY'er

Dwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman View Post
The vent is not supposed to go down at all from the fixture. It needs to run to the side (at a 1/8' per foot pitch) to a horizontal stack. So it's not really horizontal since it's at that slope. It's illegal to put in any vent horizontally.

note: If you place it the way it is in your drawing, rainwater can collect in the vent, preventing airflow for ventilation to that fixture.
I should have had that blue line connected to the stack, that is what I was going to do, then it would have been pitched.

Would this work? Dwv-vent-pipe.jpg

My only concen with implmenting what I have shown in the above drawing, is that I think I may be just over 5' from the stack by a few inches. If it is over 5' then it isn't up to code, correct? Is there anything else I could do to vent that sink? -- Consider the load wall behind the sink is load bearing 2x4 and there is a large window that will prevent the pipe from going up.

This is the current venting / drain system, with the new proposed sink shown in orange.

Dwv-current-vent-system-proposed-sink.jpg

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Dwv

The vent is not supposed to go down at all from the fixture. It needs to run to the side (at a 1/8' per foot pitch) to a horizontal stack. So it's not really horizontal since it's at that slope. It's illegal to put in any vent horizontally.

note: If you place it the way it is in your drawing, rainwater can collect in the vent, preventing airflow for ventilation to that fixture.

Note 2: I'm sorry, this is how it should be according to code.
Attached Thumbnails
Dwv-vent-pipe.jpg  
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
DIY'er

Dwv

Quote:

Note 2: I'm sorry, this is how it should be according to code.
Thank you for your help.

The red line where from the stack / vent to the sink may be slightly over the 5' cricitcal distance. Do I need to try to connect a vent into the red line closer to the sink to maintain the 5' critical distance?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #7

Cool

Dwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Thank you for your help.

The red line where from the stack / vent to the sink may be slightly over the 5' cricitcal distance. Do I need to try to connect a vent into the red line closer to the sink to maintain the 5' critical distance?

Thanks
Jamie
I think that would be fine. Just make sure its 1 1/2" PVC all the way, and you'll be fine and in code.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
DIY'er

Dwv

Quote:
I think that would be fine. Just make sure its 1 1/2" PVC all the way, and you'll be fine and in code.
I am guessing you mean that I should not go smaller than 1.5" PVC? I assume larger, 2" to the drain and 1.5" for the DWV, is not a problem?

Thanks again,
Jamie
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #9

Dwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
I am guessing you mean that I should not go smaller than 1.5" PVC? I assume larger, 2" to the drain and 1.5" for the DWV, is not a problem?

Thanks again,
Jamie
Well, it does depend on what state you're in, but pretty much all states state that a 1 1/2" pvc can be used for kitchen sinks. Shouldn't have to worry about using 2" unless you want to. It also depends on how long the drain is running to your 3" drain stack. If it's over 30 feet total (not as the crow flies sort of measurment) you need 2". Otherwise, I'd use 1 1/2". You got it dude. Glad to be of service.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
DIY'er

Smile

Dwv

Quote:
Well, it does depend on what state you're in, but pretty much all states state that a 1 1/2" pvc can be used for kitchen sinks. Shouldn't have to worry about using 2" unless you want to. It also depends on how long the drain is running to your 3" drain stack. If it's over 30 feet total (not as the crow flies sort of measurment) you need 2". Otherwise, I'd use 1 1/2". You got it dude. Glad to be of service.
Thanks very much. I should be good, Just a couple feet below that red line is where the 4" soil stack starts, so I should be good to go.

Thanks again!
Jamie
Old 11-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Dwv

If you're over 5' from the vent with your trap you could increase the pipe one nominal pipe size (2") to get within you code parameters.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
DIY'er

Dwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
If you're over 5' from the vent with your trap you could increase the pipe one nominal pipe size (2") to get within you code parameters.
What distance can I run with 2" pipe from the vent? It's hard to know exact feet until you start getting the pipes in there and figure out the exact routing and placment.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #13

Dwv

Just try to get it as close to the window side as possible, and you won't have to worry about going to 2". I don't know about the plumbing code in Ohio, but in Kentucky, you can run a kitchen sink 1 1/2" vent 30' without having to go up a size. As for drain, you can run 60' 1 1/2" PVC before going up a size. It really depends on your state's code, but I think you'll be fine with 1 1/2". But states are different.