Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

DWV in 2x8 ceiling joists

Does anyone know if it is ok to run 2 2" pvc DWV (outside diameter 2 3/8") across 10' of ceiling joists that are 2x8? Someone told me that it is ok if it is within 4' of the end of the joist and is in the upper portion of the joist, but I have 2 2" pipes, one from a sink and the other from a sewage ejection basin. I rather keep them separate until I get to 4" DWV to prevent any potential sewage back-up in the sink. I know I can probably use a check valve on the sink, but would like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks.

KPH120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Oldguy

Most codes allow holes up to 1/3 of joist size. Put em as close to middle (top to bottm of joist) as possible best nearest one horizontel end of joist

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPH120 View Post
Does anyone know if it is ok to run 2 2" pvc DWV (outside diameter 2 3/8") across 10' of ceiling joists that are 2x8? Someone told me that it is ok if it is within 4' of the end of the joist and is in the upper portion of the joist, but I have 2 2" pipes, one from a sink and the other from a sewage ejection basin. I rather keep them separate until I get to 4" DWV to prevent any potential sewage back-up in the sink. I know I can probably use a check valve on the sink, but would like to avoid that if I can.
Thanks
You can't tie those two together under any code I have seen. A 2.5" hole can be done if it's 1.25" down from the top of the joist and at least 4" from the other hole.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote