Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Drywell for washer?

The house I am purchasing has the washer outlet running with 3/4" PVC pipe outside, along the outside, around the corner, and back into the kitchen connecting to the kitchen sink drain pipe. The inspector said, obviously, that is wrong (and goes uphill).

Is a drywell the best/cheapest solution?

FACTS:
==> The washer is on an exterior wall, in a separate room for the washer/dryer/water heater.
==> The washer water lines are where I can easily make a 1.5" or 2" hole (against the exterior wall).
==> The foundation is concrete slab (too bad it isn't a crawlspace).
==> I have an energy star front-loader, but am also concerned that if I go to sell the house in the future, that it is of adequate size.
==> I live on 1/4 acre, and the ground slopes away from the house.

DRYWELL Proposal:
1.5" schedule-40 PVC with s-trap running 10-feet out from the house (underground, sloped)
For the drywell - 30 gallon round plastic trashcan with lid, and drilled with holes

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Is this the best setup?
2. Do you think I need a permit? I don't see anything in the city regulations. The hole for the drywell is only going to be 4-feet deep.
3. Do I fill the drywell inside with rocks or around the drywell with rocks or both?
4. Is 30 gallons an appropriate size (maybe bigger or smaller)?

Thank you so much!

AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Drywell for washer?

What is the reason that the drain is plumbed like that, is the original line broken under the slab?

You would probably do best in contacting the local water/bldg. department to find out what they allow. They may let you run something like a leach line from a septic tank if only washer water feeds the drain or install a lift station (a pit with a pump) to pump it back to the existing sewer line. If not that, they may want you to fix the line if broken or run a proper drain by gravity if it has never been there. It also may be the drain is just stopped up and the owners didn't know how to unstop it. You said you were "purchasing" so it is best to find out before if not too late.

jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Drywell for washer?

It is a small (1090 square-feet) house, built in 1971. It seems like it should have a drain line, but none are in sight. So unless it was drywalled over, I don't see a drain line - neither did the inspector.

If I contact the local water department and they say a permit is required - are they (leech lines or drywells) hard to pass inspection? I am an electrician, and have only done electrical inspections...

Thanks for the help!
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

Drywell for washer?

Requirements vary from town to town but are most likely going to be governed by the uniform or international plumbing code. If you do what they require it will pass inspection.....it may not be what you want to hear, but if you are worried about resale of the home it is the best to find out from the local authorities.
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote