Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

drying rug, avoiding mildew

Hi,

I live on the bottom floor of my condo. The gutters broke and my condo association never replaced them. Basically a couple days ago I found part of my rug wet. I pulled up the rug and this problem has been building since the padding under my rug was wet, the concrete was wet, and the tackboard was wet. Insurance is working it out, but how do I keep that room dry? I put towels down to soak up water, but the room's starting to get a mildewy smell.

What do I do guys? Sorry if this is the wrong category, but I'm kinda stumped here. What do I do right now to deal with this?

TheBlackSwapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #2

I'd say get a couple of fans to circulate the air and get a good de-humidifier going. Might try a wet/dry shop-vac first if it's really soggy. Won't do much good if they don't get the gutters fixed.

Lightfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
TheBlackSwapper (08-12-2011)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #3

I agree with the previous answer and I would also get the carpet off of the ground. I used to do water damage restoration and we would actually go in and shop vac the excess water then remove carpet. Throw out the padding and let the carpet dry, usually outside. When all is dry, install new padding and lay the carpet back into place.

Use fans and get the padding out from under the carpet.... even if you have to lift a corner of carpet and tear out the affected padding. Your insurance will most likely pay for it and if not, its cheap to replace

You can treat the mildew smell if it is not totally out of control.
Einzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Einzee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

You need to fix source of the problem rather than just addressing the symptom. If the association never replaced the gutters and that was the cause of the problem, that really needs to be addressed to give you a permanent solution. You probably want to check on the outside of the building and make sure that the grading, landscaping, etc. are allowing water to be conducted away from the building. If water is showing up on the floor it may be wicked up the wall and if there is vinyl wallpaper, mold may grow under that as well. Also, if you are ripping up carpet etc., you want to make sure that you are doing all you can to isolate the bathroom from other rooms or you may spread the mold spores around and see them showing up in other places. Fun, isn't it?
praymer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to praymer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Lightfoot: I set up a fan last night. It definitely seemed to help. I can't really leave the window open overnight since I'm on the ground floor (animals & people getting in) but even the fan alone seems to have made a difference. I just got back with a dehumidifier, and it's running next to me right now. Thanks.

Einzee: The rug is basically part of one giant carpet that more or less goes over my whole unit. I'd have to cut it out and once it's gone, it's gone. If I put new padding down there if I remove that, won't more water just come in and soak it? Good to know it's cheap to replace, though . Thanks for the advice on the Mildew smell too. What about the black tackboard? Will that need to be replaced?

Praymer: I totally agree. When I told my Condo Association about this, they told me I was right re: the gutters. Their replacement was "long overdue" according to the woman I spoke with, so maybe now that it's actually causing some problems they'll listen. I just pray it happens soon. I dig I'm just fixing the symptoms, but unfortunately I don't really have the power to fix the root of the problem.

How do I isolate the bathroom beyond closing doors? I don't have wallpaper, but how can I tell if it's wicked up the wall?

The landscaping isn't helping. There's a trench in the mulch outside my main window, so I can tell the rain from the roof is just hammering the ground outside this main room.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

Closing the bathroom door is your primary option. But keeping the fan running to keep the bathroom under lower pressure than the rest of your condo will also help. The Condo association should get on the stick! Mold can be a major legal issue.
praymer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to praymer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Thanks, Praymer. You aren't kidding about them getting on the stick. All of this is kind of coming back to them.

Tags
flood dry basement rug