Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

Share |

dryer vent

Is it "really" ok to vent a dryer inside the house?
fuzbutz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

dryer vent

nope, should vent to the outside.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

dryer vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzbutz4 View Post
Is it "really" ok to vent a dryer inside the house?
Electric or gas dryer ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

dryer vent

either one will add too much humidity to the room so it still should vent outside.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

dryer vent

I heat a lot with wood, so the added humidity is better then running a humidifier
Even with the dryer my wife will still want to run a humidifier
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

dryer vent

I installed a diverter, purchased at Ace Hardware (this is not an advertisement). Cost about $10, very nice, consists of a plastic housing with a flap valve that can be turned to vent either outdoors in the summer or inside in the winter. I too heat with wood, the extra humidity is not a problem in the winter, and you recover a large amount of heat that otherwise would go out the vent. The vent includes a flange to install a nylon sock over, this captures any lint that makes its way past the lint screen in the dryer.

EDIT
Good point about the gas dryer, they are clearly not a candidate for indoor venting. I have an electric dryer.

From what I have read, the issue with indoor venting appears to have nothing to do with the moisture,which as previously noted may be beneficial in the winter, but is related to the potential for lint buildup in the lint capture device (the sock), which can lead to reduced air flow, back pressure, and potentially a fire. This is similar to the issue of poor dryer venting due to use of excessively long runs, flexible hose, or smooth pipe with sheet metal screws.

I have not seen any regulations that specifically prohibit the practice of indoor venting, however if you are going to do it (as I do), you had better check and clean the lint trap frequently. I heat with wood, and am familiar with the need to get my chimney cleaned and inspected periodically, so I am not too worried about forgetting to clean the lint trap, but if you are the forgetful kind, probably best not to vent indoors.

Last edited by Daniel Holzman; 11-22-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Electric vs. gas dryer
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #7

dryer vent

I sure hope you edit your posts and say they are electric dryers. Gas dryers should never be vented (read exhausted) indoors. The combustion by-products need to go outside with the lint residue.

Duct termination: End outside in backdraft damper & no screens {1501.1, 2437.3}
Minimum 3' from other building openings [504.5]

That is all dryers! As Bob said. Duct must be smooth metal inside, with no screws. Why is that? Screws catch lint, metal doesn't melt like plastic when it burns! Please do not vent a dryer inside -- it is against the minimum fire code and common sense!

Read this article--- 13 deaths a year, let's not add to that because of poor advice: http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #8

dryer vent

I tried venting an electric dryer inside once, used a model that required hose connecting to a bucket that held water to trap the lint, took me a while to figure out why my tools in the location of the dryer all had a coat of rust on them. I try to concentrate on other areas to conserve energy.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #9

dryer vent

Yes - electric dryer & lint trap
Mine does not divert 100% to inside, it only part of the output
And if you aren't monitoring the humidty level you will get rust
If I didn't burn wood (or have a very dry house) I would not do it
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

dryer vent

Why are you burning wood in the hot humid summer days? Or do you not dry clothes during these times?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #11

dryer vent

I think its the heating season right now
I don't know anyone that vents inside during the summer
That's pretty much common sense
Nor do I turn my heating system on to heat the house in the hot humid summer
Not that we really have much of a hot humid summer around here
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #12

dryer vent

Dave, I go with Bob on this one, I don't know why you want to burn wood in the summer, unless its so the kids can cook marshmellows
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #13

dryer vent

I bought a townhouse 4 1/2 years ago where I liked the floorplan with the exception of the location of the laundry room. It's a 56" wide space sandwiched between the garage and the family room. The furnace is at one end, then the washer and dryer and the doors leading to the garage and family room are at the other end. It's 25' from the electric dryer through the garage to the outside. I talked to a couple of hvac people about venting to the outside, but they said my town wouldn't allow it, that the distance with 3 or 4 90 turns was too long. The previous homeowner had been using one of those indoor lint traps from one of the home improvement centers that uses water to trap the lint, but in reality doesn't really catch all the lint. I was worried about breathing that in and kept the door to the laundry room closed when the dryer was running. After a couple of years, the paint in that room started peeling b/c of all the moisture from the dryer. I bought an indoor lint trap from Action Appliance (http://indoorlinttrapfilter.com) for $46.90 which does a much better job at catching all the lint. Well worth the extra cost. It still uses water to trap the lint, but it's much easier to pull out the small drawer and keep it clean than anything else I've found. I also bought a Frigidaire 70-pt. dehumidifier which I run on the days I'm using the dryer. It's quiet; with the door shut, you can watch tv in the family room and not hear it over the low noise from the dryer itself. That's seems to have taken care of the moisture issue. There's still the extra heat from the dryer and dehumidifier, but I can live with that. It's not a perfect solution, but no one I've talked to has been able to come up with a better way to deal with my particular situation.

Last edited by cyhm; 11-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
cyhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #14

dryer vent

I would think a booster fan to draw/push the dryer heat/moisture out would be better then running a dehumidifier
Most run at around 7a - same as running an AC
Not sure if a booster fan is allowed with a dryer ?

We did have some cold/wet weather in June this past year
So I did have a fire going, not sure if it was summer
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Chicago, IL

dryer vent

The instructions for every electric dryer I've seen (except for condensing units) includes the following:

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote