Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Dry Well

Back in December I posted about a leaky basement:

Leaky Basement Advice

I had three basement waterproofing companies come out and they all said that I need to replace the current sump pump system. I had put it off because it would cost me a lot of money to have them do the work.

Well last weekend we got about 4 inches of rain and I had water come into my basement again. It didn't completely flood, it came in about 2 foot from the wall. Every time I vacuumed it up it came back in. The more I vacuumed the more came in. In fact I longer I waited before vacuuming it out again, the less came in. All in all, I spent an entire day vacuuming it out.

This past Thursday I had a guy come out to see about putting a field drain in my backyard, but he didn't seem to think that would solve my problem. He seemed very knowledgable, so I kept talking with him to see what he thought my issue was. I told him that the drain at the bottom of our back stairway fills up. He asked me if the drain ties into the sump pump. Of course I had not clue. Then started talking about how it should and how he could tie it in. At some point he mentioned something about how some houses have wells, where the water drains in from the backyard stairs.

Fast forward to today, I was in the basement working on something and I thought to myself, why not see if I can't clear out the drain at the bottom of the back stairs. It looked pretty dry, so I pulled out the shop vac. So I put the hose up to the drain and it started to suck out water. I hadn't expect that, I thought I would suck up some debris or something like, I never thought it would be water.

Using a RIDGID 16 Gallon Pro Vac, I ended up emptying it out four times. And the only reason why I stopped at four was because i didn't think no one would believe me.

I am really confused here, do I have some type of well, where is all that water come from?

JRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Dry Well

Ground water
After heavy rain like we have had the ground gets saturated
A basement is a hole in the ground
Holes fill up with water

I have a drainage system under the floor of my basement to pump out water

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Dry Well

had a problem similar to this at our last house. Lots of ledge in the area, house was sitting on ledge. The reason the water keeps coming in, is the water table. If its coming in the basement, it will be at the height of the table, that is why your vaccuming out the water varies. I would look more so on the outside of the house to get the water away. You may not be able to get all the water from coming in, but its a start. If the pump system is in place, more then likely you are dealing with a high water table. You might look into digging a deeper sump pump pit to keep the table down. This will result in a higher electric bill but a dryer basement.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #4

Dry Well

@Scuba_Dave I too have a drainage system under the floor of my basement to pump out water.

@DUDE! yeah I guess the water table is really high. Is still doesn't make since because if all tha water is sitting under my house why isn't it draining into the sump pump?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #5

Dry Well

A phenomenon called capillary action or wicking keeps the soil soaked under your house while the sump pump pit is not continually refilling.

Another way of saying it is that the water table level varies. In the vicinity of the pit (air space), say for a radius of 3 feet, the water table is lower because the water drips from the soaked soil into the pit.

By putting in a perimeter drain system aka French drain aka weeping tiles you establish an air space going all around your foundation into which the soil gradually wrings itself out. Thus the water table is lowered all around the house so you don't have water oozing up at the far side of the basement while the pit is still empty. (You still need the pit and the pump).

When you lower the water table around the perimeter, the water table directly under the house will also gradually go down and stay down unless there is something really unusual such as an underground spring passing directly under your house.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-22-2010 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #6

Dry Well

@AllanJ - since already have a french drain upder my house is it possible I have a spring under or near my house and and if so, what's my solution?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

Dry Well

You can put in a dry well (pit with porous side walls like unmortared brick) some distance from your house to pump the water from the sump pump pit to. There must not be water pooling up against your house. You don't want the same water that the sump pump removed seeping back in right away.

Have your sump pump adjusted so the water in the pit is kept below the level where the French drain pipes enter, and keep it that way for two days. If water is still seeping up into the basement at the far corner, your French drain could be clogged or may not have been properly installed (pitch towards the pit not favorable).

You don't have to worry about suctioning out the floor drain so long as the water level stays below floor level.

If you do have a spring under your house or other situation causing your sump pump to not keep up, you may need another pit and another sump pump just to get a larger volume of water taken care of.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-22-2010 at 04:50 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Always learning...

Dry Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMN View Post
Well last weekend we got about 4 feet of rain and I had water come into my basement again.

Did you get 4 feet or 4 inches?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #9

Dry Well

@AllanJ - I'm thinking my french drain is clogged and or the pitch is off. That could be the reason why I am able to suck so much water out of the drain, but it's not going to the sump pump pit itself.

@fetzer85 - four inches, sorry about that.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #10

Dry Well

Maybe you have already checked, but anyway,, be sure downspouts are pushing the water away from your foundation. You got 4" of rain on top of all the snow your area received, thats asking alot of your soil to absorb. Type of soil you have makes a difference. How often is your sump pump coming on? Keep track to see how much water is actually coming into the pit.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #11

Dry Well

My sump pump runs about every 15 minutes.