Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Next Time...New Build

Share |

Drum Trap Replacement

Hey guys -
I have a 2nd floor shower that has a drum trap that is now leaking. I have the ceiling on the 1st floor opened underneath this and an access panel behind the tub on the 2nd floor. I want to remove the drum trap and replace with a p-trap but have a few issues:

1) The exit line of the trap ties into the run from the toilet and then into the main stack. My problem is that the exit line from the trap goes over the run from the toilet and does a 180 loop and ties into the opposite side of the toilet line. The loop into the toilet line is one solid piece, no fittings. The line was bent to shape to make the connection.

2) There appears to be a 2nd exit line coming from the trap which looks like it ties into the main stack. I am guessing / hoping it is a vent? The research I have done on these types of traps led me to believe that these did not have vents. I know to replace with a p-trap the line needs to be vented. (don't have the time to run a separate dedicated vent)

So I guess my question is, assuming the line is vented, can I add the p-trap and go over the toilet line, do a 180 and tie back in? I know the "simple" solution would be to replace all lines to the stack but that really isn't an option at this point.

Thanks for the input and hopefully you can translate my babbling!

Also, I don't have a pic of this mess!

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Drum Trap Replacement

if it's not necessary I would not replace the whole line. cut downstream of barrel trap, replace in pvc, coupleed together with a fernco.
( p.s. could you post a picture of the barrel trap with inlet, outlet, and vent all plumed together)

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Next Time...New Build

Drum Trap Replacement

I will try to get a picture posted. Thanks for the response.

2 additional questions:

1) What type of piping was used that could be bent like that? Lead/Copper?

2) Since my tub and toilet tie together and run down the main stack approximately 2 feet away, will that satisfy my venting? The main stack goes through the roof.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
WDR

Drum Trap Replacement

I am not sure about the venting but the pipe is almost certainly lead, if it is it will be a grayish color sort of similer to duct tape.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Next Time...New Build

Drum Trap Replacement

Just an update. I went to start the replacement of the drum trap and decided to attempt to make it leak again before removal. I could not replicate it. After some investigation, I ended up in the attic where I found a small hole in the roof, directly above the vent/stack to the house. You could clearly see that water penetrates there when there is ice build up and it begins to melt. The water was finding its way down the vent all the way to my drum.

Moral of the story, keep investigating until you know for sure what it is. For once I left my opener in the tool box for that can of worms!!!

Thanks for your replies.